Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Michael O'Leary VC plaque to be unveiled in Glasnevin

depaor01

I wonder why they chose Glasnevin? The idea was to place them in their home town, in O'Leary's case Macroom, Co Cork. Will this be the same for every VC winner born/brought up in what is now Eire?

Not asking you direct Dave, just thinking (and typing) out loud.

Sam

I'll answer as best I can though!

I don't think it's one of the proposed VC plaques for all recipients. Just a long overdue recognition that's easier now that the cemetery has a Cross of Sacrifice.

I imagine he will get his home town plaque in due course.

Dave

What a splendid story - in fact, two splendid stories: that of O'Leary, and that of the fact that two countries with so much shared history can now be grown up about the past.

Cheers Dave, I thought it was his VC paving stone as the centenary of his action is tommorow 1st Feb.

Can you let us know if you find out for certain please?

Sam

Confusion reigns here because I linked an online version of the story having read the paper version. The paper article had no mention of the CWGC involvement so now I think the plaque should indeed be in Cork .

Will investigate further!

Thanks,

Dave

Unless the Irish Government believe that there is a high risk of vandalism by placing them in home towns and by placing them at the cross within the Cemetery, it would negate the risk?

Sam

Fair point Sam, but as Steven has alluded to, I think, and sincerely hope, those days are gone.

There is an anniversary on the way here that has already proved more controversial than WWI

Dave

I don't like Valentine's Day, but surely it's not that bad?

The memorial paving stone to Lieutenant Maurice Dease, the first winner of the Victoria Cross during the First World War was unveiled in Glasnevin last August. Maybe there are going to put all the Irish ones in Glasnevin. Dease was from Westmeath.

The memorial paving stone to Lieutenant Maurice Dease, the first winner of the Victoria Cross during the First World War was unveiled in Glasnevin last August. Maybe there are going to put all the Irish ones in Glasnevin. Dease was from Westmeath.

Sounds likely going by date. Obviously a conscious decision by the Irish government.

Sam

What a splendid story - in fact, two splendid stories: that of O'Leary, and that of the fact that two countries with so much shared history can now be grown up about the past.

Well said :thumbsup:

I see the Glasnevin article on the Dease Stone says it is temporary, maybe it is the same with O'Leary's.

“Each of the 27 Victoria Cross winners from what is now the Republic will get a paving stone paid for by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC). It has not yet been decided where they will be permanently located.”

The full article here:http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/visit-glasnevin/news/first-wwi-victoria-cross/index.xml

Unveiled today - photo courtesy of Glasnevin Museum.

best

Richard

Excellent Richard,

Thank you for posting the image

Gerry

I see the Glasnevin article on the Dease Stone says it is temporary, maybe it is the same with O'Leary's.

“Each of the 27 Victoria Cross winners from what is now the Republic will get a paving stone paid for by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC). It has not yet been decided where they will be permanently located.”

The full article here:http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/visit-glasnevin/news/first-wwi-victoria-cross/index.xml

It' a bit disappointing not to see the stones going to their permanent locations now, but hopefully they will be moved in the near future.

Out of interest, does anyone know if Mannock VC is on the list of 27 Irish VC. Winners ?