Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private purchase sidearms

Khaki

Just supposing I am a freshly minted subaltern purchasing a new webley service revolver from a supplier, how were they packaged?, did the revolver come in a cardboard box with all the cleaning extras or were they just wrapped up like any other purchase?. Apart from the fancy wooden cased revolvers of the Victorian era, I have never seen a box for a Great War manufactured webley. Did they exist?

khaki

Just supposing I am a freshly minted subaltern purchasing a new webley service revolver from a supplier, how were they packaged?, did the revolver come in a cardboard box with all the cleaning extras or were they just wrapped up like any other purchase?. Apart from the fancy wooden cased revolvers of the Victorian era, I have never seen a box for a Great War manufactured webley. Did they exist?

khaki

khaki,

Like you, I have never seen a shipping box for a Webley revolver.

For the recently commissioned WW1 officer purchasing a private purchase revolver to take overseas, I doubt they would have wanted or needed the fully wooden cased versions containing the revolver, cartridge block, tools etc., those wooden pistol cases, when fully loaded are very heavy and cumbersome and would have been extra baggage he did not need.

I am sure that along with purchasing his revolver, he would have also bought the matching leather service pistol case/holster, and a cleaning rod, and that is what would have either been picked up from the retailer or was mailed to him suitably wrapped.

When I researched my privately purchased Webley W.G. Army Revolver, the Webley Archives were able to locate the actual revolver based on its Webley serial number, which shows that it was shipped from Webley to a military retailer ' White's Royal Artillery Agency ' in Woolwich, purchase price 85 Shillings ( Four Pounds Five Shillings ) with 6 pence postage. Once the Webley revolver arrived at White's, it would have then been collected from White's shop by the officer who ordered it, who probably also purchased the matching leather pistol case from White's, and I am sure this was the usual procedure for most officers privately purchasing their revolver.

Regards,

LF

Hello LF,

I had a feeling that you would have a definitive and well researched answer, it makes sense what you say. I guess that the pistol went home in it's holster. wrapped accordingly.

I got home wrapped up two days ago from the heart hospital, so I have a bit of time on my hands to explore the interesting mysteries of the Great War.

thanks and kind regards

khaki

I got home wrapped up two days ago from the heart hospital, so I have a bit of time on my hands to explore the interesting mysteries of the Great War.

I tried to PM you, but it is not going through for some reason, anyway, hope you are well.

Kind regards,

LF

Thanks LF,

I think my PM's were as blocked as some of my arteries, I have now deleted most of them (PM's that is), thanks yes I am ok as things go, just a bit weary, No1 MkIII's seem heavier than they did before. I think boredom is the worst thing, thank goodness for the forum.

kind regards

khaki

Just to say chin up Khaki!

Apart from target rifles and dueling pistols I have never seen a weapon in a box. Can not think of a more obtuse place to place a weapon!

thanks yes I am ok as things go, just a bit weary, No1 MkIII's seem heavier than they did before. I think boredom is the worst thing, thank goodness for the forum.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Khaki! And as those revolvers are too heavy at the moment, then have a play with your bayonets - well, not with any such as the M-Peabody 1874, which also weighs a fair bit...!!!

Trajan

khaki,

Like you, I have never seen a shipping box for a Webley revolver.

Once the Webley revolver arrived at White's, it would have then been collected from White's shop by the officer who ordered it, who probably also purchased the matching leather pistol case from White's, and I am sure this was the usual procedure for most officers privately purchasing their revolver.

Regards,

LF

By the officer? By his man, surely! :D

Regards,

MikB

Khaki,

Best wishes, hope you make a speedy recovery.

Mike.

Just to say chin up Khaki!

Apart from target rifles and dueling pistols I have never seen a weapon in a box. Can not think of a more obtuse place to place a weapon!

I've actually got a SWIFT Training Rifle from WW2 in its original box. So some things were boxed.

I also think boxes were available for Webley pistols during the Boer War. Saw a photo on Gunmart or similar.

John

The Swifts were boxed because they came as a complete kit, as did No.4(T)s and L42s.

WW2.

Yes, that photo is WW2, and shows American Smith & Wesson revolvers being unpacked by the A.T.S., having been sent from America under the Lease-Lend program, probably 1942.

Attached is another photo, showing a delivery of Lease-Lend Winchesters being unpacked on arrival from America.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-33466500-1422712427_thumb.j

A bit off period but on subject; years back I bought a Colt 1911A1 in it's original packaging from Jeremy Tenniswood. It was a commercial model that had been bought up by the British purchasing commission in 1940. Thus it had British proof marking on the left of the frame at the rear. The serial number indicated that the date of manufacture was in the Thirties. It was still in it's cardboard box and in mint condition, no scratches on the cartridge feed ramp, no wear to the grips nor polishing on the sights. As made. It came with a one spare magazine still wrapped in grease proof paper, a bore cleaning brush also still wrapped, a list of spare parts and the prices. The story was that it was issued to an officer who simply put it on top of a wardrobe at his home and went off to the War with a rifle. To those more used to seeing a parkerized finish it was a revelation; a deep polished blue. I only fired it on one occasion for fear of injuring the finish. Alas I sold it off when the effects of Dunblane on our legislators became apparent. SW

Technically your pistol was a Colt Government Model, rather than an M1911A1. The main difference between the two being the finish.

I have one as well, although mine is of the earlier non-A1 type - and is extremely scruffy.

Technically your pistol was a Colt Government Model, rather than an M1911A1. The main difference between the two being the finish.

I have one as well, although mine is of the earlier non-A1 type - and is extremely scruffy.

Yes - being lazy, just an easy way to differentiate between the models! - SW

The other differences are;

arched mainspring housing

wide frame cutouts behind the trigger

grip safety spur lengthened

wider front sight

hammer spur shortened

grips simplified

shorter trigger

khaki

The other differences are;

arched mainspring housing

wide frame cutouts behind the trigger

grip safety spur lengthened

wider front sight

hammer spur shortened

grips simplified

shorter trigger

khaki

Forgive me but but those are the differences between an M1911 and an M1911A1, not between each of those and its equivalent Colt Government Model, which, as i said earlier, was essentially the finish.

I may be wrong but the Government model also had the Spring Finger Ballel Bushing as well didn't it? I recall that that made quite a difference to the accuracy but I think that was 60's / 70's in development.

Rod

Me too! The 'new' Colt was an example of post 1923 production. I also owned several others including a Model 1911 in 0.45 ACP marked to a Dragoon Officer, a M.1911 in o.455 Eley Auto, a Series 80 Government Model in .38 Super, another 0.45 ACP which started as a Series 80 Gold Cup but was then modified for Practical Pistol - new slide, 5.5 inch barrel, compensator, Bomar Hi-Vis sights, double sided safety, extended mag release, extended grip safety spur, combat grips, eight round mags. I used a 200 grain bullet loaded to 950 ft./sec. The 38 Super was the same spec.. Here is a photo of the Colt 1911 in 0.455 calibre. - There were two more mags in the Sam Browne pouches. Dunblane put an end to the lot. Cheers S.W.

post-47661-0-13316100-1422885392_thumb.j