The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Harlem Hellfighters any good!

Gardenerbill

This book looks interesting, not the usual historic fiction, it's a graphic novel.

So any one read it?

Are the images accurate?

Is the story accurate?

In short is it any good?

This quote from an Independent review would seem to give the kiss of death as far as contributors to this forum are concerned:-

"The events in the graphic novel are all historical, though he did invent a handful of characters to complement the real-life heroes – since the aim of the project was not 100 per cent accuracy, but to return the Hellfighters to the public mind."

I looked through the book in a library and would agree with the independent review of it. I would say it was sort of okay. The images did look fairly accurate for the most part. I didn't see anything really out of place but I didn't look that close either.

As long as they don't confuse them with the Harlem Globetrotters.

This quote from an Independent review would seem to give the kiss of death as far as contributors to this forum are concerned:-

"The events in the graphic novel are all historical, though he did invent a handful of characters to complement the real-life heroes – since the aim of the project was not 100 per cent accuracy, but to return the Hellfighters to the public mind."

I take your point that from a purely academic point of view the book is probably of no value, however I beleive that WW1 fiction has an important role in bringing the events to a wider audience and shouldn't our role on the forum when discussing a book be to point out primarilly if it misrepresents the facts?