Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Huge collection of German documents in Russia

Chris_Baker

So is it too much to say that maybe these documents need to go back to Germany? Not really sure why Russia would still want to hold onto these.

So is it too much to say that maybe these documents need to go back to Germany? Not really sure why Russia would still want to hold onto these.

Good point! Well, they are certainly less 'valuable' or as publicly visible than the 'Priam's Treasure' they lifted from the Zoo Bunker in May 1945, and so of no 'trophy' value and could be returned!

On the other hand, they are now freely accessible on the internet... Compare that to the 'freedom' of access to the war diaries of any GB unit... Yet, thanks to the generosity of the Russian Military Archive, we can read - for free! - the KTB for certain German units in WW1.

Julian

I definitely agree with you there. Canada and Australia have made all of their records for WW1 publicly available as well.

I just wonder how much other stuff the Russian's still have that is in a basement archives somewhere. I would love the records for the German Air force to be found.

• spof changed the title to Huge collection of German documents in Russia