Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Horse at War: 1914-18 - The Lightbox, Woking, Surrey

NigelS

On until 1st March The Horse at War: 1914-18 ; Not a large exhibition, but well worth a visit to see horse related WW1 works of art. Additionally the centrepiece (literally) of the main display area is a real version of 'Joey' used for the stage production of Warhorse (this particular one was presented to the V&A) and there is the opportunity to view some of the artwork produced by Rae Smith for the development of the stage sets. Fascinating as it was to get 'up close & personal' with 'Joey' to see just how 'he' was constructed and operated, to me the WW1 artworks were the stars of the show, and of these the undoubted highlight was Lucy Kemp-Welch's spectacular and detailed 'Forward the Guns' (on loan from the Tate) which, as with all large paintings, has to be seen in real life to fully appreciate it.

N03217_10.jpg

NigelS

It is well worth a visit. I was lucky enough to be invited to the preview prior to the opening as I had a little input into their volunteers research. The collection of paintings and sketchs is wonderful.

Bootneck