Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZ's Unknown Warrior

christine liava'a

Christine

Thanks for keeping us up to date with this event.

It would be good to keep the post up to date until after the interrment. I'd be especially keen to see the work done by Gauldie, showing the 7 stages of the warrior's journey.

Regards

Steve

Dignity marks sealing of casket

By ANDREW MacDONALD in Darwin

The remains of New Zealand's Unknown Warrior were sealed in a copper casket by apron-clad Commonwealth War Grave Commission workers in a humbling ceremony, a Maori leader says.

A spokesman for Te Atiawa iwi, Peter Love, said his emotions welled as he saw the casket's lid sealed with a finishing hammer in a workshop in northern France.

"The mood in the room was very silent," he said. A karakia (prayer) had also been intoned.

"Just knowing what was in that box. It touched me. As a Maori I was pleased it [the casket's sealing] was done humbly and with dignity."

Tears had welled in the eyes of onlookers and some were upset hours later.

About 10 New Zealanders were in the room, including Defence Force chief Air Marshal Bruce Ferguson, who had seen the warrior's remains.

The copper casket was about 1.3m (4.5 feet) long, 45cm (1.5 feet) wide and 76cm (2.5 feet) deep, Mr Love said.

It took about half an hour for the casket lid to be hammered down, and it was then soldered closed and placed in a rimu coffin brought from New Zealand.

The flag-draped coffin was handed to a New Zealand Defence Force contingent on Saturday, its job being to ensure the warrior's safe return to New Zealand.

Air Marshal Ferguson described his viewing of the warrior's remains as one of the most emotional occasions of his career.

Three military officers viewed the remains, the nature of which would never be revealed, Air Marshal Ferguson said.

"I told him [the warrior] we're taking him home and that those who are taking him home are soldiers, sailors and airmen, past and present."

He also said he had asked the warrior to be the guardian of all military personnel who had died on active service.

"I then promised that we, the people of New Zealand, will be his guardian," he said.

The remains were exhumed on October 10 from the Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, near where the New Zealand Division fought in 1916. No New Zealander was present at the exhumation.

The remains were buried about 140cm down in the grave that carried the epitaph "A New Zealand Soldier of the Great War Known Unto God".

They were recovered from the Somme battlefield in 1920 from a mass grave containing some 200.

Veterans' organisations pay their respects to the Unknown Warrior.

He's one of us, and he's home

By HELEN TUNNAH

It was just the tiniest handclasp.

Jean Johnston reached out to her husband of almost 60 years and squeezed his hand as his emotions threatened to overwhelm him.

Alan Johnston, a veteran of El Alamein and former Dominion president of the Returned Services Association, leaned forward in his wheelchair and placed a poppy in front of the casket of New Zealand's Unknown Warrior.

Visible on his face was all that the unknown soldier's return from lying in a French grave for almost 90 years meant to many of the war veterans in the room.

"It's absolutely amazing, it's the culmination of everything that we wished for," Mr Johnston said.

"So many years we've wanted to bring this unknown warrior back to New Zealand."

The fallen World War I soldier will lie in state at Parliament's Legislative Council Chamber until this morning, before a memorial service and his interment in a newly built tomb at the National War Memorial.

The soldier will never be identified. He died on the Somme in 1916, and has been chosen to represent the more than 30,000 New Zealanders killed in wars since the start of the 20th century.

After a private Defence Force ceremony, Governor-General Dame Silvia Cartwright and Prime Minister Helen Clark greeted the soldier's remains at Parliament, placing wreaths by the casket.

The three services, Navy, Army and Air Force, have mounted a round-the-clock vigil by the casket, the guard changing every 30 minutes, as New Zealanders yesterday filed past. Last night, hundreds were still waiting to pay their respects.

Later, Mr Johnston almost apologised for his tears, suggesting that maybe it's just old veterans who get a bit carried away.

"I saw him," he said, of the soldier, as the remains were carried by a bearer party on to Parliament's forecourt. "It's so powerful within you. He was one of us, one of those that went off to serve their country. And you just see them all, I could see him. Yes, he's come back and he represents so many."

And they were warriors.

"When you're in battle you're a warrior. They were heroes, all of them were heroes. This man now has come back, and he's known to every family who has lost someone."

Alan Johnston suffered severe leg wounds at El Alamein, Egypt, in 1942.

He'd known Jean since the start of the war - he'd been a sergeant-major teaching the women's war service auxiliary how to march.

"He used to take some of us home afterwards, and I was always the last one dropped off," Jean, 83, recalls.

When they bumped into each other again on a Christchurch street, it was his first day out of hospital in 2 1/2 years.

Jean married her "wonderful guy" before the end of the war.

Mr Johnston, now 85, carried his wounded left leg with him for 40 years, before it was finally removed 20 years ago.

He hopes young people will join veterans in identifying the warrior as part of the country's heritage.

"I've waited all these years to bring back an unknown warrior.

"I thank the Government, and I thank the Prime Minister in particular, for all they've done in bringing this about."

Where they died

South African War (1899-1902): 230.

World War I (1914-18): 18,166.

World War II (1939-45): 11,625.

Korean War (1950-53): 43.

Malaya/Malaysia (1948-66): 20.

Vietnam War (1964-72): 40.

Peacekeeping operations: (1990-2002): 6.

Total: 30,130.

post-19-1100110062.jpg

Christine,

Fascinating story, thanks for sharing it with us. Nice to see a NZ hero back where he belongs. It's an awfully long way to go to die.

Christine,

Thanks for this post. It will make tomorrow's and Sunday's Remembrance even more special for all New Zealand.

To your Unknown Warrior.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks Christine, enjoyed reading about this. And remembering Rifleman Samuell Douthitt Hill, 3d New Zealand Rifle Brigade, killed June 30, 1918 , buried Somme American Cemetery, Bony, from New Castle, Henry County Kentucky.

Christine,

I would like to join the other pals in thanking you for bringing this emotive story to the forum & sharing it with us - New Zealanders will certainly be proud to have their unknown warrior buried back in the soil of New Zealand.

Bryan in Canada

Came across this today and thought you would all enjoy it. I've cut some small sections out of it.

Unknown warrior finally laid to rest

11.11.2004 - 4.00 pm

UPDATE - In a heartfelt ceremony at the National War Memorial in Wellington today, the Unknown Warrior was laid to rest as a symbol of New Zealand's sacrifices in all wars.

The casket containing his remains, which arrived here from northern France yesterday, was lowered slowly into his tomb at the memorial at 1.50pm. Four army soldiers stood vigil at each corner of the tomb, on a warm and windless day. A three-volley salute was fired by a tri-service firing party. A moment later, the stirring notes of the Last Post carried across the memorial grounds. The hundreds-strong audience, including a large number of medal-wearing war veterans, stood watching in silence.

New Zealand's Unknown Warrior was brought from the World War 1 battlefield of the Somme, and lay in state at Parliament yesterday, before being moved to the Cathedral of St Paul for an Armistice Day memorial service this morning.

The warrior's casket, draped in the New Zealand flag, was then wheeled on a gun carriage through central Wellington, in a full military funeral procession which began just after midday.

Office workers, shoppers, and those who had come specially to see the Warrior's return lined the streets five and six deep in places, as he passed under black flags printed with red poppies hanging from the lamp-posts.

A Wellington City Council spokesman told NZPA estimates placed the crowds at up to 100,000, not quite as many as the 120,000 who turned out to see a parade for the third Lord of the Rings film last December.

…. Wellington man Ron Simpson, 68, wiped tears from his eyes …. "It was just so emotional but the warrior has been returned to us far too late."

Lieutenant Colonel Charles Smith, of the Territorial Force, said he was very moved and could hardly find words.

"I was at Gallipoli on Anzac Day but this is different -- this is at home," he said.

Beverly Fairfax, of Wellington …described the ceremony and procession as appropriate and dignified. "It gave me great pride in being a New Zealander. So many people stopped to see this and were silent and respectful."

… The band played a specially commissioned funeral march -- Fernleaf Headstones -- and Dead March from Saul.

The Warrior died 88 years ago and was exhumed from a Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery for repatriation. He was one of 9000 who have known grave or whose remains have not been recovered. On November 6, a 90-strong New Zealand Defense Force contingent collected the Warrior's remains at Longueval in France. Officials said there was next to no doubt he was a New Zealand soldier. - NZPA

From The New Zealand Herald

Regards

Carninyj