Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA at Frome?

PaulC78

Does anyone know if there was a Royal Field Artillery camp or depot at Frome around 1917?

My great uncle served with the RFA 134th Bty. 32nd Bde. According to his obituary, he was wounded in 1916 and was in England from around August that year until April 1917, after which he was sent back to the front. He was originally from Sheffield, but was a patient at Whitecross Hospital in Warrington until November 1916, and he was married in the Warrington area in February 1917. Thing is, his marriage certificate gives his address as "Frome, Somerset". I'm assuming that's where he was based with the Army at that time, but I can't seem to find anything specific. Or could it perhaps refer to something else, such as a convalescent hospital?

No: 7 Depot RFA (7 Reserve Brigade) was formed at Frome in November 1916. Men were sent here post recovery to be brought back to fitness (physically and militarily) prior to posting to a unit and return to active service This would seem to be where your man was based at the time of his marriage.

There were however two Auxiliary Hospitals in Frome. Keyford Asylum (sometimes called Frome Asylum) and St. Aldhelm's House (sometimes Home).

The former was a Home for Girls who were trained for domestic service and the latter for boys who were trained in the printing trade.

Keyford Asylum (35 beds) was used as the Depot Hospital during the 4-months that men of No:7 Depot were quartered in the town.

Dave

No. 7 Depot RFA was established at Frome in 1916. It was moved to Romsey sometime in 1917 but Frome retained "D" and "E" battery as far as I can tell. It was meant to be for returning Expeditionary Force men in category A (iii) on expiration of leave after leaving hospital. Once they were A (i) they would have been sent to 5C Reserve Brigade, Hemel Hempstead who were handling their postings and accommodation was kept open for them there.

Thanks chaps, that sounds like just the thing I'm looking for.