Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell identification required

Graham Stewart

post-7376-0-93219400-1421873777_thumb.jppost-7376-0-98918800-1421873794_thumb.jp

Please could any of our arms experts possibly identify the attached shell images? It's believed to be French and if possible could you provide an image of the actual gun which would fire it - many thanks.

Graham.

Graham,

The headstock markings indicate that your shell was made by:- Pinchards Denys Paris (PD.Ps). 37mm the calibre, 85 for 1885 the date of introduction of this type, 230 the batch number and 1.18 the date. As the op's say a Hotchkiss round.

I have 2 of these dated Feb 1916, but without the 'trench art' embossing.

Mike.

Very many thanks to all for your outstanding replies - spent most of my life in the armed forces, but weapons and munitions just weren't my thing - just so pleased to know that guys & gals out there really know there stuff and can help out. Once again very many thanks

But why does it have the US "flaming bomb" ordnance marking? I can't believe that the US took the time in theatre to mark all the shells we were getting from the French.....

I think you'll find the French used the Flaming Grenade before the USA did.

The 37mm shell was a very popular souvenir as it was so portable. I have bought dozens over the years in France but I have left two of them on the market stalls where I found them. Both were fully live and filled. You get to know the weight of these things and I immediately knew these two were still filled and the primers were intact.

Buyer beware.

John