Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lusitania

Cathy S

This question probably sounds very basic, but I'm after a clear simple definition. Were fireman on the Lusitania also called stokers and would an inexperienced stoker just shovel coal into a furnace. Also, did they power the whole ship, lights etc. Any help would be really appreciated.

They were called firemen or stokers. On such a large ship there would have been maybe 80-100 of them ,working in gangs on shifts 24 hours a day while the ship was at sea,feeding the boilers with coal to produce the steam which fed all the ship's systems.An inexperienced stoker would be subsumed into his gang with others of greater experience and shown how to function. They were all the muscle which kept the ship going. Coal burned each day would be in the hundreds of tons,and as much as a thousand .

Later: seen a crew list,there were 153 Firemen on board (10 were Leading Firemen). Various quotes for coal burned daily,up to 1100 tons !

Trying to write a very small piece about a great uncle who died of be Lusitania, so any small bit of information is really appreciated. Thank you again

So if a fire broke out, in someone's cabin for example, would these 'firemen' deal with that, or would there be another 'proper' fireman on board to deal with such events?

Sorry, Cathy, not really relevant to your piece, just occurred to me whilst reading the thread...

James

So if a fire broke out, in someone's cabin for example, would these 'firemen' deal with that, or would there be another 'proper' fireman on board to deal with such events?

Sorry, Cathy, not really relevant to your piece, just occurred to me whilst reading the thread...

James

"Fireman" in the Merchant Navy are not the fireman of the Sam/Barny Mc Grew type of fireman.

They were employed in the boiler rooms and coal holds of the ship. Having said that I believe all crew members would have at least some basic fire fighting training.

"Fireman" in the Merchant Navy are not the fireman of the Sam/Barny Mc Grew type of fireman.

They were employed in the boiler rooms and coal holds of the ship. Having said that I believe all crew members would have at least some basic fire fighting training.

You need to name them all,Captain Flack's men that is ! Drew,Drew,Barney McGrew,Cuthbert,Dibble and Grubb,

There,I'm out of the closet and admit that I used to watch Trumpton on TV with my kids all those years ago. Some things never leave you !

Was there also some sort of hierarchy in the engine rooms?

Were firemen superior to trimmers?

Were there senior trimmers?

I know precious little about matters maritime!

Bruce

Was there also some sort of hierarchy in the engine rooms?

Were firemen superior to trimmers?

Were there senior trimmers?

I know precious little about matters maritime!

Bruce

Bruce

Trimmers were the movers of the coal from storage to the boiler feed stations. Trimmers were so called because they had the knowledge of moving the coal and keeping the ship in trim (evenly balanced) as they excavated. The Trimmers (100 on board for the final voyage) were likely to be controlled by the Ship's Engineering staff, but there were senior Firemen as Firemen shift leaders. I would say that there was also an input from the ship's Officers with regard to which coal came up next for burning,probably a daily decision based on ship's balance instruments (inclinometer) and bow and stern depth readings prior to sailing.

Here's what happened on the Volturno.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Volturno_%281906%29

"Shortly afterwards part of the cargo exploded. Later the fire spread to the ship's coal bunkers, cutting off the fuel supply for the fire hose pumps. The crew attempted to fight the fire for about two hours,...."

http://fireontheocean.com/about-ss-volturno/

"The British captain, Francis Inch, oversaw the initial fire fighting efforts, while others in the crew evacuated the passenger compartments and ushered everyone to the back of the ship. Shortly into the firefighting efforts, some of the cargo exploded, which may have killed as many as dozens more passengers and crew."

Kath.

You need to name them all,Captain Flack's men that is ! Drew,Drew,Barney McGrew,Cuthbert,Dibble and Grubb,

There,I'm out of the closet and admit that I used to watch Trumpton on TV with my kids all those years ago. Some things never leave you !

Wikipedia has the 'Drews' as 'Pughs'. :unsure: I always thought it was "Hugh, Pugh, Barney Magrew, etc " :whistle:

Anyway, were the Pughs father & son or brothers? :innocent: