Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kenneth Winkless, 38702, Royal Welsh Fusiliers - what battalion(s)?

headgardener

Would anyone happen to know what battalion(s) this man served with? I suspect that he was with 6th Garrison Battalion, but can't be certain. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

He was with 2nd Garrison Battalion according to the medal rolls.

Lars - thank you very much for your very speedy response! He was stationed in Cairo, and the only RWF battalion I could find there was 6/Garr Bn - I just checked the LLT and I see that elements of 2/Garr Bn relieved 6/Garr Bn following the armistice, so that explains the Cairo connection.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help...!

Nearly the whole of RWF 38xxx seems to have been allocated to the 2nd Garr Battalion with numbers issued Oct 1915 to Feb 1916. Many are transfers from other Regiments i.e already trained men. Men around him are ex Welsh Regt men with addresses in South Wales, with the RWF number allocated January 1916. The Battalion moved to Egypt in March 1916. It was at Cairo from Apr 1916 to Aug 1917. I would say that he was with them.

There is only one of that name in census etc. At Leicester. Is that him?

Nearly the whole of RWF 38xxx seems to have been allocated to the 2nd Garr Battalion with numbers issued Oct 1915 to Feb 1916. Many are transfers from other Regiments i.e already trained men. Men around him are ex Welsh Regt men with addresses in South Wales, with the RWF number allocated January 1916. The Battalion moved to Egypt in March 1916. It was at Cairo from Apr 1916 to Aug 1917. I would say that he was with them.

There is only one of that name in census etc. At Leicester. Is that him?

Hywyn - many thanks for this very detailed information! I know nothing about Kenneth beyond what I found on his MIC. I had posted a photo of him on a thread about uniforms. He signed himself 'K.E. Winkless', and a quick bit of Google-ing leads me to believe that he was Kenneth Edward Winkless, b.1897-98. (I don't have a current sub to any of the genealogy site atm).