Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J J Starkey , RGA Carney Military Cemetery ,

Tom20011956

Hello Forum Members

I only just joined this forum . I found a post card in my grandfathers attic with J.J.Starkey on it & RGA ,Carney Military Cemetery 1914 -1918 WWI. It is a very poignant photo with a young beautiful lady dressed in black over looking the grave ,obviously a very near relative. Please can anybody tell me how l can find out more about this grave and the person interned within it.

Thank you for reading my post.

Tom

Hi Tom

Welcome to the Forum.

here is the entry

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/293310/STARKEY,%20T%20T

He was Theophilus Thomas Starkey, born and enlisted in Birmingham, does this mean anything ??

Apparently the son of Edmund and Sarah Starkey of Garrison Street, Birmingham (Peaky country !!)

I think everyone would be interested in seeing the pic if you can post it

Regards,

Graeme

Tom

Z 18 Trench Mortar Battery was a part of 18 Infantry Brigade of 6 Division. That Division was not fighting in the Battle of Albert on 2 July 1916 and seems not to have made it's attacking presence felt on the Somme until Flers-Courcelette in Sept 1916.There is a War Diary which will tell you what was happening to the Battery around the beginning of July 1916,here:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352316

Pardon me ! I posted that first Kevin,and then decided that I had got mixed up and changed it !

T T Starkey 2.jpg

Thank you all for such detailed information . It all fits together .My next quest will be to find out who the lady is TT Starkey was 29 years of age I will try to post the photo hear for general interest so that the graves can be seen how they looked after WW1. Once again a great forum . Regards Tom

TT had a sister Ruth,who was 18 in the 1911 Census.

Thank you Old Sweats , l did not know this . Perhaps his sister .

To all the marvelous experts on this forum another puzzle ;-)

I have another photo this time l was wondering if anybody could help me with what is the regiment. There is a little x marked against one soldiers in the front row and this is also intriguing me . Perhaps if l can find the regiment and theater

of war l can find more info. Regards Tom

Group photo