Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1stBn sherwood foresters

jayne w

hello

My house backs on to a cemetary and as I was idly wandering through with the dog today I noticed a few WW1 graves so I decided to pick one to research and see where I got. My chap was with the 1st Bn Sherwood foresters and was killed on 26th July 1915.

I am wondering if any pals could let me know what the Bn was doing around then?

He is Pte H Priestley, 5778 and was 37 when he died. I've looked him up on the CWGC site.

Regards

Jayne

Jayne, it doesn`t really matter what his battalion was doing at that time. To be buried where he is, he would have either died of natural causes or accident in UK or he would have died of wounds long enough after the event for him to have been repatriated. It might not have been long after, or it could have been a long time after. Your best source of info is probably the local paper, in which his obituary may have appeared shortly after his death. Good luck! Phil B

Jayne,

A Derby paper date 6.8.15.

"Pte H. Priestley 1st Sherwood Foresters, a victim of the German crime of poisoning water , was buried with military honours at Beeston on Saturday. He was wounded on May 9th and at Netley his wounds healed but a complication of six diseases set in as a result of drinking water in the trenches that the Germans had poisoned and death ensued."

Born Attenborough, Notts.

enlisted Nottingham.

Died of wounds.

Home.

Stuart

Thanks for that Stuart - of course now I will ask the inevitable - any idea about netley?

Does anyone know where the 1stBn was on May 9th?

Many Thanks

Jayne

Jayne,

Netley was a UK Military Hospital.

There is a thread on this group on hospitals and a mention of it on The Long Long Trail.

Stuart

Does anyone know where the 1stBn was on May 9th?

Jayne

Have a look at The Long Long Trail for 8th Division [and the 24th Brigade] and The Battle of Aubers

That is where I believe 1SF were.

The attack on Rouges Bancs was entrusted to the 8th Division which was ordered to move forward at 5.30am.

The 1st Battalion moved out of its billets nears Sailly on the night of the 8th(May) and arrived at their assembly trenches south of Rue Petillon w/o mishap.

The attack went in and the attack by the East Lancs [24thBgde] was checked by machine gun fire. 1SF came under machine gun fire.

Later on that day the advance was stopped.

1SF lost 78 kia that day and over the next few days 9 more died of wounds.

That is how I (briefly) see what happened on the 9th May 1915.

Stuart

Your local library might be able get you the 1st & 2nd Battalions Sherwood Foresters in the Great War (above extract taken from that book)

Jayne

I've got the pages from the battalion war diary for 8th-10th May as a Word document. If you would like a copy, send me an email address via an email or PM and I'll send it.

Regards - Sue

Jayne,

A Derby paper date 6.8.15.

"Pte H. Priestley 1st Sherwood Foresters, a victim of the German crime of poisoning water , was buried with military honours at Beeston on Saturday. He was wounded on May 9th and at Netley his wounds healed but a complication of six diseases set in as a result of drinking water in the trenches that the Germans had poisoned and death ensued."

Born Attenborough, Notts.

enlisted Nottingham.

Died of wounds.

Home.

Stuart

Stuart,

Apologises for piggy backing on the end of this but your response on the Derby paper caught my eye.

My Great Great Uncle was KIA on the 4th November 1918 in Sebourg and despite finding a minute articlle in the Matlock Gazette I cannot find anything else.

You dont have any more info tucked away regarding this potentially do you?

Details at the bottom - lived in Cromford, son of William and Mary aged 24 years.

Thanks in anticipation.

Matt

Stuart & Stephen,

Thanks for your advice, information and suggestions. I'm so glad i found this forum - It saves me goodness knows how many hours blundering about trying to find out what happened and now I have all you experts to calll on. Just hope i dont try your patience too often!

Thanks again

Jayne

:)

Jayne, if yopu have a paper more local to you than the Derby paper, it could be worth looking in that. There may be a photo! Phil B

Phil,

Thanks for the suggestion, we have the Nottingham Evening Post,so i could look there. Beeston, where I live,suburb of Nottingham may have had a more local paper back then - i,m going to have to do some digging!!

Cheers

Jayne

:D

Here is an extract from a personal account written by a man from my Village who served with the 1.S.F. and it seems that things may have been a bit chaotic at that time. " Out and in the line further on the front through April we had 400 fresh men to fill the gaps up, in May 1915, a battle worse than the last at Aubers near La Bassee, we never entered the German Front Line, General Cole was killed. I hid in a shell hole for a day and a night, 20 yards from the Germans was posted missing did not find the Battalion for two weks and wished I never had"

What I find a bit puzzling though I am assured it could happen, also a man from my Village, Ethelbert Harrop, serving with the 1. S.F. K.I.A. on the 9th May 1915, is commemorated on the Ploegsteert Memorial, Hainaut, Belgium.

Hi Cliff,

What is your village called? Interesting account. I wonder if my chap was one of the 400 fresh men? I'll post on here if I find anything else out.

Regards

jayne

Jayne, I come from a Village called Whitwell in Derbyshire, there were 6 men serving with the 1st Bn. S/F. according to the fellow I quoted four of them were killed.

Hi all,

Placed a post only this week re a 1st Batt Forester.

Would seem he was around at the same time as your man. Luckily my collegue has now found photographs (which I will scan when possible) and you never know it may include your man.

Roop

Medal card of Garrett, Eligah

Corps Regiment No Rank

Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment 4294 Private

Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment 241437 Corporal

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...2262&hl=elijah#

Name: GARRETT, ELIJAH

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt.)

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 28/08/1918

Service No: 241437

Additional information: Son of Elijah and Martha Garrett, of 41, Burnell St., Brimington, Chesterfield.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. H. 3.

Cemetery: ORCHARD DUMP CEMETERY, ARLEUX-EN-GOHELLE

• 4 weeks later...

Jayne, Stuart, Steve et al,

Have 3 photos which are believed to be early Foresters. Have little info on them other than the first is Elijah Garret himself (referred to above).This particular photo was taken in France (photo card back is French from a company in Paris).

May be of interest to Foresters pals.

Roop