Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information sought on Stratford upon Avon VAD

Markoil

In 1917 there was a VAD in Stratford upon Avon, called: "Whytegates V.A.D. Hospital".

I am most interested in finding out what the address was where this V.A.D. was located, and if the building still exists today.

Any information that will help me further in my search, will be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Markoil

Could it have been in St Gregory's Road, where the Whytegates Hotel stood in 1934? The road is still there, but I can't trace the hotel.

The Shakespeare Birthplace Trust also holds the Stratford-upon-Avon general local history archive:

http://www.shakespeare.org.uk/explore-shakespeare/collections.html

Thank you very much.

Checked St. Gregory's Road in Google Maps, StreetView.

Is it possible that the Whytegates Hotel was on nr. 7? U-shaped driveway looks like may have been leading to hotel entrance?

I'm not local so I wouldn't know, I'm afraid... try the local history people!

You might also try contacting the Royal College of Nursing Archive - it's listed in their copy of the British Journal of Nursing for 15 January 1916:

http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/data/VOLUME056-1916/page052-volume56-15thjanuary1916.pdf where the sister is given as Miss C.L. Birch.

OK, thank you.

Good suggestions. Will try.

• 4 years later...

Hi. I was searching for info about Whytegates Hotel and came upon this thread. I know it was posted quite a while ago, so may not be of interest any more, but I may be able to provide some useful info. I can confirm that Whytegates Hotel was located at 7 St Gregorys Road in Stratford-upon-Avon.  The same building now stands there, but it has since been turned into flats. The Shakespeare Birthplace Trust do indeed have records of when the building was used as a V.A.D. hospital during the Great War, including photographs of soldiers and nurses lined up outside the front of the building. I have a copy of some of these photos if you are interested.

Thanks, I've sent Markoil a message to alert him to this.

Hi Chopper,

Thank you very much for your message. And thanks seaJane for alerting me.

This topic is still very relevant to me. I am researching the war history of an Australian private, and this research project is ongoing.

This Australian soldier by the name of Robert August Struhs was wounded near Ploegsteert (Ypres sector) in April 1917. He was treated at Whytegates VAD and while in Stratford he performed a gallant action on the river Avon on June 5, 1917. This I know from the inscription on a watch that was presented to him by the management and staff of Whytegates VAD.

Most of the information of his active service in Belgium and France I have been to collect, but the Stratford episode is a big blank. So any information, photographs, etc. would be very welcome.

I am particularly interested to find out what the gallant action on the river Avon was. Some local newspaper may have reported this at the time. Who knows.

Thanks for your interest and feedback.

Markoil

Hi Markoil,

The local paper is the Stratford Herald. I've telephoned them and their own archives don't go back that far, but the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust have copies of older archives, so that might be worth trying next. Next time I'm in Stratford I'll take a look. The reason I'm interested too is that I own one of the flats in the house, so I'm also interested in finding out more about its history. When we renovated our flat we found some interesting relics under the floorboards, including a letter from a soldier. I'll look them out and see what is there.  In the meantime, I've attached some photos taken in front of the house - these are copies of photos from the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust.

Regards,

Chopper

20190222_160043.jpg

20190222_160109.jpg

20190222_160129.jpg

20190222_160149.jpg

On 19/01/2015 at 18:04, Markoil said:

In 1917 there was a VAD in Stratford upon Avon, called: "Whytegates V.A.D. Hospital".

I am most interested in finding out what the address was where this V.A.D. was located, and if the building still exists today.

Any information that will help me further in my search, will be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Markoil

Markoil/Chopper. the following should help. Source: The British Red Cross Society, Warwickshire Branch.  Report for the year ended March 31st 1916 with an Account of VAD work in the County from the formation of the Branch.

SAM_3338.JPG

SAM_3336.JPG

SAM_3337.JPG

SAM_3339.JPG

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thanks Terry - that's really interesting. The front of the house looks basically the same today. We're trying to recognise where the wards were within the house. We're not sure where the large ward was - the old plans show that there was a summer house in the garden that no longer exists, and a large building at the rear that was subsequently used as a classroom and has since been demolished and turned into single storey houses.

Chopper

Looking at the pitch of the ward roof (large ward photo)  it would appear to be on the top storey.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

53 minutes ago, Chopper said:

You'd think so, but our flat is on the top storey, and there's nothing like that up there.

It is possible that a false ceiling has been put in to reduce the height and make it look more cosy, which is not unusual in these type of buildings.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

I tried the British Newspaper Archive, without much success. Though I did come across mention of another rescue in the Avon that month - which sadly resulted in not only a death, but theft from the would-be rescuer.

Stratford rescue Sx Agr Exp 22 June 1917 .png