Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bavarian Uhlans

new3.2

I wonder if anyone would have a short history of the 2nd Bavarian Uhlans in WWI. My grandmothers first cousin served in that unit. His name was Friedrich Bachle, born in Ingweiler, Pfalz, Bayern. I have a photo of him holding his '89 sabre; and he survived his war service. Any unit information would be appreciated.

Ken B.

Hi Ken -- Great to see you on here! You might get better luck if this was listed in the SOLDIERS section or perhaps UNITS and FORMATIONS perhaps if a mod sees this they could move it?

Chris

Here is a LINK which may help to get you started. They were part of the 4th Kavallerie-Brigade of the 4th Division of the II. Bayerisches Armee-Korps

Cheers, S>S

Hello,

Friedrich Bächle, °27.02.1897, was called up as a recruit in the 2nd Bayerisches Ulanen-Regiment in September 1916 (Ersatz eskadron, the training unit in germany), he was transferred to machine gun training units in Germany from September 1917 to January 1918 and posted to a frontline unit in February 1918, the 1st machine Gun Company of the 8th Bavarian Infantry Regiment, with which he served in France.

He went missing on 8 August 1918 North of Moreuil and returned from captivity in August 1919.

You need the history of the 8th Bavarian Infantry Regiment for February to August 1918 instead.

Jan

Hi Ken -- Great to see you on here! You might get better luck if this was listed in the SOLDIERS section or perhaps UNITS and FORMATIONS perhaps if a mod sees this they could move it?

Chris

Chris- Just lurching along but it worked

Ken

Here is a LINK which may help to get you started. They were part of the 4th Kavallerie-Brigade of the 4th Division of the II. Bayerisches Armee-Korps

Cheers, S>S

Thanks for the reply- will check it out.

Ken

Hello,

Friedrich Bächle, °27.02.1897, was called up as a recruit in the 2nd Bayerisches Ulanen-Regiment in September 1916 (Ersatz eskadron, the training unit in germany), he was transferred to machine gun training units in Germany from September 1917 to January 1918 and posted to a frontline unit in February 1918, the 1st machine Gun Company of the 8th Bavarian Infantry Regiment, with which he served in France.

He went missing on 8 August 1918 North of Moreuil and returned from captivity in August 1919.

You need the history of the 8th Bavarian Infantry Regiment for February to August 1918 instead.

Jan

Jan- Many thanks- Great information for me; I have visited F's daughter and niece in Zweibrucken, and his niece and family have visited us here in the states. It puts a whole new light on the 08/15 Maxim I am restoring.

Regards, Ken

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
On 20/01/2015 at 12:08, new3.2 said:

Jan- Many thanks- Great information for me; I have visited F's daughter and niece in Zweibrucken, and his niece and family have visited us here in the states. It puts a whole new light on the 08/15 Maxim I am restoring.

Regards, Ken

Cool! Friedrich Bächle was my Grandfather.

One of his sons is still alive.

On 18/01/2015 at 20:10, new3.2 said:

I wonder if anyone would have a short history of the 2nd Bavarian Uhlans in WWI. My grandmothers first cousin served in that unit. His name was Friedrich Bachle, born in Ingweiler, Pfalz, Bayern. I have a photo of him holding his '89 sabre; and he survived his war service. Any unit information would be appreciated.

Ken B.

Hi Ken,

Friedrich Bächle was my grandfather. I remember him telling me stories from WW1 when I was a little boy.

Where do you live? I moved from Germany to Minnesota in 2020.

Best

Andy

Greetings Andy.  I am 82 years old and live between Detroit & Toledo in Milan, MI.  What I learned about F.B. is that during training before he was sent to the front he was a member of the Machine Gun comp. of the 8th Bavarian Inf.  He reached the front in 1917 I think. He was captured at some point by the French, and returned to Ingweiler in 1919 after mining coal for the French.  I never met him but I did his daughter Ms Maus & her cousin Ms Jung.  I would love to hear more from you.  I never was in NB to meet any of the Bachle's , but my father did as a boy.  My Grandmother, Josephine, came to central IL to aid her sick sister, and married my grandfather, Carl Baumann.  I own a part of the family farm there.  I am having some medical tests this week but will send a number to contact her.

Regards, Ken