Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skippers of the RNR Trawler Section

simoneyre

26 minutes ago, G Pacey said:

I'm interested in purchasing a copy of this book, if you could give me the title. The link provided doesn't seem to work.

Try this one

keith

http://www.omrs.org/product/skippers-rnr-first-world-war/

It seems a bit unlikely that a warranted RNR trawler skipper would be discharged to the army for service in the BEF but stranger things have happened.

All the original records of service of WW1 RNR skippers (if he was not RNR you must look elsewhere) are held at the Fleet Arm Museum (now part of the national Museum of the Royal Navy). http://www.fleetairarm.com/royal-navy-royal-marines-services-records.aspx

1 hour ago, G Pacey said:

I'm researching the war history of a relative, who was briefly a skipper of the 'Donside', before being sent to the Western Front.

Hello Gordon welcome to the Forum.

If you could post the name of the relative it would help (Cannot find a RNR skipper named Pacey).

Terry

The Donside was skippered by Skipper Alexander Brown late 1914 to early 1915. He was discharged services no longer required 16th March 1915.

2 hours ago, ARABIS said:

The Donside was skippered by Skipper Alexander Brown late 1914 to early 1915. He was discharged services no longer required 16th March 1915.

Well found ARABIS - Service record LINK

Terry

Thanks everyone! I have now ordered a copy of the book.

Yes, his name was Alexander Brown. I only knew him as a small boy, but the story in the family, was that when in Northern Ireland, he was invited by a farmer to try the local Poteen - resulting in him literally missing the boat the following day. He was subsequently court-martialled and dismissed. The Army immediately conscripted him, and was sent to France on 27/12/1915. Apparently, he had trouble obtaining his back-pay, because they didn't initially believe he was the same person.

1 hour ago, G Pacey said:

Yes, his name was Alexander Brown. I only knew him as a small boy, but the story in the family, was that when in Northern Ireland, he was invited by a farmer to try the local Poteen - resulting in him literally missing the boat the following day. He was subsequently court-martialled and dismissed. The Army immediately conscripted him, and was sent to France on 27/12/1915. Apparently, he had trouble obtaining his back-pay, because they didn't initially believe he was the same person.

He was discharged from the RNR March 1915 and the Conscription Act did not come in until January 1916, so more likely he volunteered for the army?

20 hours ago, ARABIS said:

He was discharged from the RNR March 1915 and the Conscription Act did not come in until January 1916, so more likely he volunteered for the army?

Hi Arabis, I wasn't aware of that. I was never given the impression that he volunteered. The story I've been told was that he was sent home to Aberdeen, and that the Army were waiting for him on the platform - he never actually made it home! Unfortunately, there's no one still alive who can give me the full story.

Gordon.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 15:57, simoneyre said:

Hi Gordon Ive been away for a while and only just spotted this Try this link

http://www.omrs.org/product/skippers-rnr-first-world-war

Let me know if you have any problems What was your relatives name?

Kind regards

Simon

Hi Simon, I have purchased a copy of the book, and very interesting it is too!

It clarifies a blank section I had of my relative - Alexander Brown, and details the dates of his naval service. Whereas I had thought he had been conscripted afterwards, Arabis has kindly pointed out that conscription occurred at a later date. A further examination of the burnt records shows that he must have volunteered for the Royal Field Artillery. He made a statement on joining, declaring that he had no previous military service. Another statement, made when the War had ended, details his Navy Service. He must have thought his court martial would disallow him from joining up. He was awarded the Military Medal in 1918. Of interest probably only to me, he was a fisherman before the War, and returned to fishing after the War. He was awarded the Royal Humane Society silver medal in 1929 for his part in a rescue at sea.

Regards,

Gordon.

• 2 years later...