Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

thomas obrien RFA help please

kevin donaldson

Hello folks, I am presently researching different family members who served in the great war, over the years I have some great help off the members of this forum, by pure chance I have came across another family member where I am presently stuck on.

His name was Thomas Obrien, my fathers uncle, his service number was 110452, and served with the RFA, he lived at Morgan Street, Southwick, Sunderland, also winning the Belgium Croix de Guerre, I knew where he lived from info from my dad, but could anybody help me in determining with which Artillery regiment he was in and maybe where he served, I may even hopefully try and find how he won his Belgium cross.

Thanks

Kevin Donaldson

Hi Kevin,

Fortunately his service records have survived and can be seen on Ancestry. If you're not a member there are sometimes deals on temporary membership or try local libraries which are increasingly giving free access.

With help from The Long, Long Trail here you should be able to find out a lot about Thomas's service.

Mike

Found him on ancestry

(Edit: Snap!)

They have him down as at Margan Street. You need to search without the ' in O'Brien

Thanks guys, going to put pen to paper this weekend regarding Thomas, even though I haven't finished researching my great grandfather, but it amazes me how many of my family served,

Many thanks again

Service record gives the date of London gazette for Belgian Croix de Guerre as 4/9/19...

Should be possible to find that easier as dates are often not given!

Regards

Ian

That's great, thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Service record gives the date of London gazette for Belgian Croix de Guerre as 4/9/19...

Should be possible to find that easier as dates are often not given!

Regards

Ian

Service record also is stamped 19th R Battery, as well as 1b Reserve Bde, 4th Battery.

In handwriting it says 23 DAC several times.

A bit later on on the demobilization sheet it has written 31 Medium Trench Mortar Battery and dated 15/12/18

Regards

Ian

You need to look at Ancestry... in the middle of the file there's a full sheet with everything he ever did plus dates on it, and it's really clear and legible. Never seen that before!

Starts 26/11/15, ends 4/1/19

Location is service records, O'br, starts at page number 14,154, ends at 14,176.

Regards

Ian