Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual Bayonet

Guest Johnstokes

Guest Johnstokes

I'm sorry the I don't have a photo, but I am trying to identify two identical bayonets.

They would be around 600mm long, and the shaft is a criss-cross - looking straight up the shaft from the pointy end, like a Phillips screwdriver. The blades are far from sharp - indeed they're very blunt. Even the pointy ends are blunt.

I am told they are Turkish bayonets, captured at Gallipoli.

Any thoughts as to what these might be?

Your input would be appreciated.

A photo is needed but it sounds like a French Lebel 1886... There is, though, IIRC, a Belgian one with a similar blade.

Trajan

Sounds to me like you may have some French "Lebel" bayonets (Modele 1886 Epee-baionette) Google that and see if they match.

Cheers, S>S

There are no Turkish bayonets with a cruciform blade as described. The French M1886 Lebel is cruciform, having an overall length of 638 mm, unable to be specific without a photo. Are the grips of wood, brass or an alloy like material, any markings present? There are several websites devoted to bayonet identification, could be worth trying one of them.

Mike.

There are no Turkish bayonets with a cruciform blade as described.

I wonder if there has been a twist in the story associated with these - perhaps French bayonets captured by the Turks at Gallipoli???!!!

Equally, they could be captured Russian bayonets used by the Turks? I wonder if the handle looks like one of the two (not very good) attached photos?

Regards,

Michael.

post-53132-0-17120100-1421316857_thumb.j

post-53132-0-14882300-1421316870_thumb.j

Equally, they could be captured Russian bayonets used by the Turks?

True, but I have seen any evidence for Turk use of Russian weapons = which of course does not mean that they never did! I have seen a few of those M-N socket jobs n Turkey, but all except one have come with Austrian or German scabbards...

Trajan

If they are socket bayonets how about the bayonet for the Peabody Martini which the Turks adopted in the 1870s, that has a cruciform blade?

Mike

We can only speculate until we get a response... I can't remember what my M-H sockets are like, in all honesty (back home on Monday so I'll look!), but the Russian M-N ones have a 'regular screwdriver' point not a 'Philips' version, as with the Lebel...

Guest Johnstokes

Thanks greatly for all the responses.

I am going from memory here (always dangerous) but I believe the ends of them are like the second photo that you have posted Michael.

The bayonets are currently in my brother's possession in a different city, and I shall ask him to photograph them, which I'll post here.

John Stokes

Well, on what we know so far, sounds like these are bayonets for the Russian Mosin-Nagant M.i891 rifle, and this comes in two principal types: the GW-period one is a simple socket bayonet; but the inter-war and WW2 version has a spring-loaded push-button to secure the bayonet to a rifle. When you get a chance to look then compare with what is shown in a couple of good pages on these, e.g., at: http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/mosin%20nagant/mosin-nagant.htm, and http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/MosinBayonetsFromJPS.asp

Trajan