Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Devils Own Photograph Identification

SCOOBYPOOH

Hello, I found an old photograph in the back of one of my grandfather old British military books and tried to research it to find out more about. I have spent hours using the Devils Own as a criteria based on the little critter at the feet of the regiment photo with those words on him and come up with Connaught Rangers and 88th regiment. I also tried research the cap badges and found nothing like what they are wearing. I believe it is from circa WWi and would like to know more. m,makes it hard to show a good picture of the photograph with only 250 kb allowed for photo attachments. I scanned it as high as 27.5 mb for my research, so I took a small clip from it to show here as an attachment. Photo is 5 men high and 13 men front row with about 16 men 2nd rowans so on up. I can put more clips later if needed. Thanks

post-89404-0-70312200-1421266958_thumb.p

post-89404-0-48355000-1421267244_thumb.p

The Inns Of Court Regiment has the nickname The Devil's Own.

What is that scary critter in the foreground? A small cat?

External image hosting is the answer to the image size limit, something like photo bucket.

TEW

I think that critter in the foreground is suppose to be a mascot which was added during the photo making. It has the words Devils Own write on it. I don't think it is a real animal, but I could be wrong.

I managed to get a better look at the cap badge along with some more research and my description of the badge would be a laurel wreath with small open at top and no crown and a maltese cross in center, but there is one guy who has what looks like a trotting horse facing left with something on its back.