Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern 1907 JAC Bayonet for Review

juno-44

Hi,

Am I correct to say that this bayonet is original and issued to Australia but that the scabbard is not matching.

The pommel is stamped SA for South Australia and the scabbard mouthpiece is stamped 3 MD is for Victoria.

Should the mouthpiece be stamped 4MD which is the military district for South Australia?

Regards, Michel

jac1.jpg

jac2.jpg

jac3.jpg

jac4.jpg

jac5.jpg

A very nice Pattern 1907 Sword Bayonet with the hooked quillon still attached.

As you say, the ' S.A. ' pommel marking is for South Australia, and the ' 3 M.D. ' is the mark for the 3rd Military District ( Southern Command, Victoria ).

' 4 M.D. ' would be the mark for the 4th Military District ( Central Command, South Australia ).

Your bayonet was made by British maker J. Chapman, and is less common that some of the other makers.

It would be a bonus for the pommel and scabbard throat markings to match, however, I doubt that any collector would be put off by it, and there was probably interaction between the 2 Military Districts.

In all an extremely nice, and rarer item, which would be sought after.

Regards,

LF

Very lovely piece - for the sake of reference would you consider a cross-post on this thread: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=189766

Or add a tag - Australian HQ or Australian bayonet on the tag list?

That way all those australian bayonet fiends will note its existence!

:thumbsup:

Trajan

Looking back at this one - I have not to my memory seen a month/year stamp quite like this one before - the '09' is in a very different font and size than the '12' or the '1907'... It seems rather odd to me - but I have only handled a few of these rather than hundreds... And look at the hook - like I said, I am no expert, but I get the feeling - no more, no less - that it is not quite right...

It is very usual to see the month and date stampings just like this on the early P1907's. There is nothing wrong with this one at all ... very nice. :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

It is very usual to see the month and date stampings just like this on the early P1907's. There is nothing wrong with this one at all ... very nice. :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

I'll take your word for it but can you show us one like that from your collection? I know I don't have a 1909-dated JAC, so perhaps it is peculiar to their products alone?

EDIT: Aha, found one - a 1908 JAC at http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=139907