Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Class St Sava of Serbia

niimmm

post-15222-0-43482600-1421016016_thumb.j

Hi guys,

I'm doing some research for an RAMC officer who I think was awarded the 4th Class St Sava of Serbia.

He was educated at the Felsted school and I have taken this screen shot from their archives page.

It says that Roy Darley Clayton was awarded the 4th Class St Sava of Serbia.

Now I would love some confirmation of this award. There's no mention on his MIC, he has no surviving service records and a search of the gazette has brought up nothing.

Is there anywhere else that I should be looking?

Thanks for your help

Simon Dickinson

It says that Roy Darley Clayton was awarded the 4th Class St Sava of Serbia.

Simon,

Here is the Order of St. Sava 4th Class medal with case ( Obverse and Reverse )

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-31809800-1421016849_thumb.j

post-63666-0-72656400-1421016870_thumb.j

Thank you for those images of the 4th Class St Sava of Serbia. If I get confirmation of his award I'm going to buy myself one of these and add it to his 1915 trio.

Simon

Thank you for those images of the 4th Class St Sava of Serbia. If I get confirmation of his award I'm going to buy myself one of these and add it to his 1915 trio.

Simon

Why not, if he earned it.

Also, the Order of St. Sava awards were published in the London Gazette under the heading - Decorations conferred by His Majesty the King of Serbia, so you may be lucky and find his 4th Class award entry.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-67988900-1421022491_thumb.j

post-63666-0-42039600-1421022537_thumb.j

Hi

I do not have him in my database & can not find him on the London Gazette also. This does not mean he wasn't awarded a 4th Cl St Sava, as some of these were handed out without being official. I have checked all my sources and no joy.

Try local newspapers / war diary, you may have some luck there.

If you do find confirmation of his award could I ask that you let e know and I will add him to my database.

Peter

Perhaps you could try the "Corps News" which was at the back of each Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps. Some, but unfortunately not all if you live in the Uk, editions for the War years are online on Archive.org. see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Doctor, section Royal Army Medical Corps and the earlier British Army Medical Services

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Doctor#Royal_Army_Medical_Corps_and_the_earlier_British_Army_Medical_Services

If you are in North America you can probably access all years on the Hathi Trust Digital Library

Data copied from the FIBIS Fibiwiki page (format doesn't copy)

Volume 25, Jul –Dec 1915

Volume 25 Index

1 (Jul)

Corps News

2 (Aug)

Corp News

3 (Sep)

Corps News

5 (Nov)

Corps News

Volume 30, Jan—Jun 1918

Volume 30 Index

2 (Feb)

Corps News

3 (Mar)

Corps News

4 (Apr)

Corps News

5 (May)

Corps News

6 (Jun)

Corps News

Volume 31, Jul-Dec 1918

Volume 31 Index

1 (Jul)

Corps News

2 (Aug)

Corps News

3 (Sep)

Corps News

4 (Oct)

Corps News

6 (Dec)

Corps News

Restricted access, probably available to those in North America and some other countries Hathi Trust Digital Library

You may be able to access other issues in a Library, or there is a DVD available to buy from Army Medical Service Museum

Cheers

Maureen

Simon

If you do it may be a good idea to check which ribbon is correct. According to Dorling and Guille there were two variants

Justin H

• Admin

The award was granted to a number of medical men including those who served on the Royal Army Medical Corps Serbian Medical Mission from March to June 1915 but I can't find his name on that list in the LG. It was awarded on a number of occasions during the war and often awarded to members of the RAMC but I can't find him listed under '4th Class' in the LG.

The fact a foreign award was made does not necessarily mean he served with the armies of the nation making the award, although it does seem that this criteria applied at least to the same theatre in which both armies were operating for example, as well as the RAMC many members of the ASC also received this award and suggests Salonika/Macedonia. However one recipient was the Director of the V & A (his Deputy got the 5th Class!) and another the lady who ran the Serbian Relief Fund.

Dr Roy Darley Clayton was commissioned into the RAMC on 24 May 1915 as a Temp/Lieut LG 21/06/1915

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29199/supplement/5967

He was promoted Temp/Capt 24 May 1916 LG 07/07/1916

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29656/page/6747

He relinquished his commission on 31st March 1919 and retained the rank of Captain

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31363/supplement/6609

As his mic shows he entered theatre (Dardanelles) on the Hospital Ship Kildonian (sic) Castle, on 16th October 1915. As this ship was converted to a merchant cruiser after the campaign in March 1916 in the absence of a service record almost impossible to say where he served after the Dardanelles without browsing war diaries etc, a fairly expensive option!

Seems you are not the only person researching this chap http://www.circlecity.co.uk/wartime/board/index.php?page=25

Ken