Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for an address for a soldier

temptage

I am trying to find an address for a soldier called George E Gleadow. I know he was born in or around Hull, but I am led to believe that he was living in Grimsby at the time of his death.

Can anybody be able confirm his address in both 1901 and 1911 please.

I know I am not allowed to ask others to look up things on A*c*s*ry :devilgrin: (other family history websites are also available), so I wont ask :whistle:, but if you just happen to be on any of the various available websites and you feel the need to find out who he was (for your own interest OBVIOUSLY) then I would be very happy to know your findings!!!! :thumbsup:

?1901: Address 9 Charlice Terrece Countery Street

Living with parents, and siblings.

?1911: Address 11 Fredericks Ter Nornabell St Holderness Road Hull Yorks

This is the family address, he iis not living there.

Death?

NAME: George Edward Gleadow

BIRTH DATE: 8 May 1896

DATE OF REGISTRATION: Dec 1970

AGE AT DEATH: 74

REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Grimsby

INFERRED COUNTY: Lincolnshire

VOLUME: 3b

PAGE: 618

Or, if he was the son of William and Rebecca and born in Hull in c 1885, he was living in Grimsby in 1901 and with the East Yorks in India by 1911.

Is this the same G E Gleadow of East Yorks (8275) then West Yorks (43359) who was shot for desertion?

C

Or, if he was the son of William and Rebecca and born in Hull in c 1885, he was living in Grimsby in 1901 and with the East Yorks in India by 1911.

Is this the same G E Gleadow of East Yorks (8275) then West Yorks (43359) who was shot for desertion?

C

It is indeed one and the same. I know his mother, Rebecca, was living in Grimsby when he died.

Death?

NAME: George Edward Gleadow

BIRTH DATE: 8 May 1896

DATE OF REGISTRATION: Dec 1970

AGE AT DEATH: 74

REGISTRATION DISTRICT: Grimsby

INFERRED COUNTY: Lincolnshire

VOLUME: 3b

PAGE: 618

Sorry I forgot to give his date of death, 6th April 1917. I believe the one you have listed was his cousin

A bit late to the party, but:

The CWGC has a Serjeant George E Gleadow of 10th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment who died on the 6th April 1917, showing that he was the son of Mrs Rebecca Gleadow of 22 Ladysmith Road, Great Grimsby.

In 1911 that lady is (age 46, born Gainsborough) at the same address, with children Lily Ann (age 23, born Hull), and Fred (age 18, born Hull). She had been married for 28 years, and had 5 children - 3 of which were still living.

In 1901 she appears (age 36, born Williton [?] Lincs.) to be living at 16 Farebrother Street, Great Grimbsy, together with her husband (William - age 41, born Howden [?] Yorks.), and children (George E - age 15, born Hull; Lily - age 12, born Hull, and Fred - age 7, born Hull).

In 1911 her eldest son (then 26, born Hull) appears to be a Private in India with the East Yorkshire Regiment. I suspect that his original attestation was in 1903 and that some of his papers are available on FindMyPast.

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/united-kingdom-records-in-military-armed-forces-and-conflict?firstname=geo%20ed&lastname=gleadow

Regards

Chris

Here's a snippet from the Hull Daily Mail from 8th February 1917;

PREVIOUSLY REPORTED MISSING; NOW REPORTED NOT MISSING. West Yorkshire Regiment.—Gleadow. 43358, Sergeant G. (Grimsby).

Thank you to every one who has provided answers. It seems like we have answered my original question.....and quite a bit more too. We have proof that he was living in Grimsby with his family in 1901, signed up to the Army in 1905, again whilst living in Grimsby, his family are still living in Grimsby in 1911 with him away in India, but most importantly, at least, his mother was still living in Grimsby when she gave her name to the IWGC (CWGC) after the War. So I would reckon at very least 19 years living in Grimsby.

I would happily say that even though he was born on 'tuther sard o'watter', he and his family were well and truly Grimsby folk.

- Draft from 1st Battalion to 2nd Battalion 26 February 1907

- 2nd Battalion 2nd class shot D Coy January 1908

- 2nd Battalion entitled to wear signaling badge 1910/1911

- 2nd Battalion Granted 2nd Good Conduct Badge April 1911

- Medal Index Card entered France 15 January 1915

- Transferred West Yorkshire Regiment 43359

- Deserted

- Shot At Dawn 6 April 1917 for Desertion