Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th City of London Fusiliers ?

Timbob1001

Hi all

Some developments with my research on Wallace Victor Tout - some family photos have just appeared noting he was with the 4th City of London Fusiliers - one in the same as the 4th London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)?

If someone has the regimental history of the latter would it be possible to have a brief dekko at the September-October period for me - any mention in particular of a Frith Camp?

Thanks

Tim

Can you give his number?

Did he survive and what year are you looking for?

There are medal index card and medal roll entries for a Wallace V. Tout

Pte. 1089 A.S.C. E.F.C. [Expeditionary Force Canteen], 1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal entitlement, date of entry into a theatre of war 26.11.1915, but place not given.

A second card is for him as Pte. 199928 R.A.S.C. (Ex. Fce. Can.), later 38984 Gloucestershire Regt. [the medal roll states 12th Bn. of the Glouc. R.]

The two cards are linked by appended notes.

If someone has the regimental history of the latter would it be possible to have a brief dekko at the September-October period for me - any mention in particular of a Frith Camp?

Thanks

Tim

I have the book and can look, but which year?

Thanks all - the year in question is 1914. It appears he enlisted at Blackheath into the 20th London Regiment, but ended up in the 4th City of London Fusiliers - he was dismissed the serve 43 days later as not likely to be come an efficient soldier. One of the family photos notes he was at Frith Camp. doing basic training.

Best Wishes

Tim

The 1st/4th Londons (the First Line battalion) departed for malta in September, leaving a nucleus for the 2nd/4th (Second Line) battalion.

On 23rd September the battalion left for Folly Farm, Barnet, and seems to have spent the rest of the year there until mid-December. Two vacant houses, "Littlegrove" and "Beech Hill" were used, as were outbuildings at "Oakhill." On 17th December they moved to Miadstone, and the 23rd left for Malta.

On the departure of the 2/4th, a 3/4th battalion was raised, but it stayed at RHQ in Hoxton until moving to the quarters vacated by the 2/4th, in January.

No mention that I can see of Frith Camp.

Thanks Steven - the mystery deepens.

ATB

Tim

Tim,

I would concur that there appear to be no records relating to your man and the '4th Bn London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)' - assuming this is the unit you are referring to? They are often confused with the 'Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)'. Easily done.

Are you able to post any of the photos you mention? May help to identify his unit and the identity of the camp?

Tom

To confuse - there are some pension records relating to him - showing he enlisted at Holly Tree House in Blackheath into the local unit the 20th Londons. He was dismissed as ‘not likely toy be come an efficient soldier’” 43 days later...

Wallace later enlisted into the ASC - Expeditonnary Forces Canteen and was later combed out and joined the 12th Glosters. Sadly he met his end with this unit while a stretcher bearer.

All thoughts appreciated!

Tim

post-85846-0-05980200-1420890304_thumb.j

From LLT

3/10th Battalion
Formed in April 1915 and moved to Tadworth. Moved in October to billets at Sutton, then to Fovant in January 1916.
8 April 1916 : became 10th Reserve Bn.
1 September 1916 : absorbed 25th Reserve Cyclist Bn. Moved to Teignmouth in autumn 1916, then Dawlish in December. Moved to Frith Hill in April 1917, where they then remained.

To confuse - there are some pension records relating to him - showing he enlisted at Holly Tree House in Blackheath into the local unit the 20th Londons. He was dismissed as ‘not likely toy be come an efficient soldier’” 43 days later...

Wallace later enlisted into the ASC - Expeditonnary Forces Canteen and was later combed out and joined the 12th Glosters. Sadly he met his end with this unit while a stretcher bearer.

All thoughts appreciated!

Tim

The date on the photo appears to be 1911? Cap badges certainly look like royal fusiliers to me.

Tim, Tom

The pension records mentioned above for 20th Londons have 'yes' with regards to previous service - but the nature of this was not specified. I had wondered if the 1914 was a 1911 but couldn't be sure. 20th Londons spent the autumn of 1914 in the Hatfield area.

Kind regards

Colin