Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1916 SMLE Mk. III* Rifle

JMB1943

The low digit serial numbers are out there, they are just rare & were rare to start with, especially the 1 & 2 digit numbers, a Peddled scheme MkIII* with the serial number R1 has been observed.

Thanks - I assumed they were but I have not seen one, I have collected based on variants and year of production....I want a "rising sun " to rival Lithgow's :w00t:

My earliest MkIII is 1907 and my latest is 1988 so I have a few gaps to fill.

The lowest serial I have is R502

Chris

Linley & Co. of Birmingham, made WW1 SMLE Rifle parts under the ' Peddled Scheme ' including magazines, however, they are probably best known as being the sole manufacturer of the 20-round SMLE magazine ( Magazine, Mark I No.4 ) of which, some 200,000 were produced by September 1918, with very few originals surviving today. Typically, Linley & Co components are stamped ' Linley & Co. '.

LF

JMB, your magazine is a standard No.4 type magazine for the SMLE rifle, and made by the firm Linley & Co. Also shows Birmingham inspection marks.

Cheers, S>S

EDIT. As Chris and I posted simultaneously, you can now choose between the long version or the condensed version, of virtually the same reply.! :innocent:

Well my time stamp is a minute earlier and my post avoids the potentially confusing/ambiguous term "No.4 type magazine" (given the earlier discussion of cocking pieces!) sooo NNaaaah! :devilgrin:

Chris, i noticed the 1907 BSA MkIII marking you showed earlier, i have U2007

Stuart.

http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/5thBatt/slideshow/1907%20BSA

Mine is U5230 and is NSW marked. It is not as nice as yours....as is usually the case :mellow: