Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Cartwright

SilverFox100

I am looking for information, if possible, about my great uncle John Cartwright. He was born 1/2/1897 in Birmingham. The information I have is that he was in the 2nd Btn Royal Warwick Regiment no. 5094504. Lance Corporal. The problem is I don't know when he joined the RWR I can't find any information about this from the records I have available. I know from Midland Registers, absent voters list in 1921 and 1922 that this is the regiment he was in.

I am trying to find out if in fact he joined up during the war years and when. I am hoping that our RWR experts have some information that could confirm this, either way for me.

Many thanks Mike

This is a post WW1 number but the records don't appear to be on the list of those still held by MOD - it might be worth trying with them anyway.

The regimental museum may be able to give you an idea on the allocation of the number which may give you a clue as to whether it was a post war enlistment or not.

In theory he was old enough for WW1 service. He may have been enlisted during the war and not served overseas in which case there are very limited options for finding any WW1 records (unless they are held alongside any post WW1 records).

Craig

The Duddeston and Nechels Ward 1918 Absent Voters' List included:-

a John Cartwright 11800 L/Cpl., 9th Bn. R. War. Regt., at 157, Lock House, Dartmouth St.

There were several John Cartwright's listed but the above was the only one in Royal Warwickshire Regt.

Thanks for the information guys. I will continue to look and contact as you suggest.

Mike

Might it be worth pointing out that L/Cpl. 11800 John Cartwright, 9th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt., in the 1918 Absent Voters' List, is listed at the same address, 157, Dartmouth Street, as L/Cpl. 5094504 John Cartwright, 2nd Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt. in the 1921 Absent Voters List, so apparently the same man?

A medal index card exists for 11800 John Cartwright which shows that he was entitled to the 1915 Star trio and landed first in Gallipoli on 15.9.1915.

Edit:

Appreciating that assuming near service numbers do not necessarily mean near enlistment dates, a search of the Silver Ward Badge Roll shows that Peter Victor Burnell Pte 11789 enlisted on 12.5.1915, and George Bradford L/Cpl. 11797 enlisted on 12.5.1915, so probably John Cartwright 11800 enlisted the same day. The available Royal Warwickshire Regt. service numbers on the SWB Roll ascending from 11*** appear consistent with ascending date order e.g. 11342 on 20.3.1915, 11390 on 27.3.1915, 11468 on 10.4.1915, and 11501 on 14.4.1915.

Might it be worth pointing out that L/Cpl. 11800 John Cartwright, 9th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt., in the 1918 Absent Voters' List, is listed at the same address, 157, Dartmouth Street, as L/Cpl. 5094504 John Cartwright, 2nd Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regt. in the 1921 Absent Voters List?

A medal index card exists for 11800 John Cartwright which shows that he was entitled to the 1915 Star trio and landed first in Gallipoli on 15.9.1915.

Yes thanks Harry I have just found that 1918 one, didn't see it before. Equally, as both these two entries appear to be my g uncle, would it be that John in 1918 was in thie 9th battn RWR and in 1921,1922 in the 2nd battn RWR?, with different numbers. I can only assume that he continued on in the services post war?

Thanks. Mike

Mike,

The BWM and V.M. roll lists him in 9th Bn. so, if the theory is right, he transferred to 2nd Bn. after the war and continued to serve. I could not find online when 9th Bn. was disbanded. Without knowing where he lived after he left the Army it is not possible to make a guess at when he was discharged by looking for him in later voters' lists. The 1922 absent voters' record is the last definite fix on him.

Harry

Mike,

The BWM and V.M. roll lists him in 9th Bn. so, if the theory is right, he transferred to 2nd Bn. after the war and continued to serve. I could not find online when 9th Bn. was disbanded. Without knowing where he lived after he left the Army it is not possible to make a guess at when he was discharged by looking for him in later voters' lists. The 1922 absent voters' record is the last definite fix on him.

Harry

Thanks Harry for your efforts. Now I know more I can hopefully pursue some other avenues. I had thought at one time that he had been killed in the war but the absent voter lists show otherwise, I just need to track him down now. Maybe some help from RWR might be the way to go so I can find out when he came out.

Thanks a lot. Mike