Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Production of Gas Masks by "John Bell, Hills & Lucas Ltd."

Dominion-of-the-North

Colleagues:

I am currently researching the life of Edward William Lucas, CBE (1865 - 1940) who was a managing director of the firm of John Bell, Hills and Lucas Limited. Although normally a pharmaceutical manufacturer, during the war this firm switched its production to gas masks.

If I am interpreting the notes on the following web-site correctly -- http://www.shp-asso.org/medias/docs/1-L026-EDWARD-FRANK-HARRISONtxte.pdf -- (which appear to be speaker’s notes to accompany a Powerpoint presentation), it seems that John Bell, Hills and Lucas Limited produced the so-called “small-box respirator”.

As part of my research, I have come across several references to photographs of the firm’s production line, but, regrettably, the hyper-links were either dead or the photos simply didn’t exist (ie., they were only referenced and not re-produced, such as in the information booklet created to accompany the exhibition “Medicine and Surgery in the Great War” – see: https://archive.org/stream/b2045708x/b2045708x_djvu.txt )

Hence, I would be grateful if anyone had any leads on where one might be able to obtain photos pertaining to the production of gas masks at John Bell, Hills and Lucas Limited. Of course, any information respecting the firm’s war production during the 1914-18 period would also be greatly appreciated.

In closing, perhaps I can mention that Lucas was also made a Chief Petty Officer in the Anti-Aircraft division of the RNVR during the War – and based upon my limited understanding of the role of this unit, he was most probably placed in charge of an AA gun located at his factory, (which I understand was the norm).

Cheers,

Glen,

In Our Dominion of the North

• 5 years later...

Good afternoon. I can certainly help. My grandfather James Stuart Hills was the joint m/d with EW Lucas of John Bell Hills & Lucas. In 1918 the company produced a booklet called "Lest we Forget" of which I have a copy. This fully describes the work which involved 3000 workers. By all means contact me at nickhills@nhills.com. Kind regards - Nick Hills 

I would like to let others know that thanks to Glen's OP, I was prompted to get in touch with Nick Hills. The subject of the SBR, it's design and production has long fascinated me. Having got in touch with Nick he has very kindly sent me a scanned copy of the booklet he refers to and it is a fascinating read, telling the story of the scramble to get something suitable made which would protect the troops. Written by someone who was there, it is clearly a contemporary account of the times and one particular thing jumped out at me - the name by which it appears many referred to the hood type helmets, i.e. Jelly Bags. This was a new one on me and in fact a search on the GWF has failed to show a previous reference to this little bit of information. The booklet also has a number of photos taken within the factory of the SBRs being made.

The account is also a complete revelation about how committed British industry could apply itself to solve an urgent problem, and one wonders if we have learnt nothing from the war judging by the way there is so much difficulty getting PPE to those who need it.

A big thanks to Glen for bringing the subject up and a very big thanks to Nick for making the booklet available to view. Another fine example of the value of this forum.

David  

As I have mentioned to David, I will be more than happy for the scanned booklet to be copied & disseminated. Unfortunately the scan is of a soiled copy (ancestral coffee, i expect). But I also have a booklet in pristine mint condition which I am reluctant to bend in the scanner. However, if there is sufficient interest after the lockdown ends I will see if I can get it professionally reproduced. It is a truly fascinating bit of history.

I am attaching the relevant scans and also a note about John Bell, Hills & Lucas which was produced in 1947. I am the infant son referred to on the 4th page !

Nick Hills 

Lest we Forget.compressed.pdf Lest We Forget_photographs. compressed.pdf Lest We Forget_photograph_compressed_2.pdf JBHL_1948_note.compressed.pdf

Hi Nick

thanks, very much appreciated

Cheers

Were their Pharmacy outlets "John Bell & Croydon"?

Good afternoon.

The original company was John Bell & Co set up by John Bell in 1798. This was essentially a dispensing chemist. However, over the next century during which my ancestor, Thomas Hyde Hills became the sole proprietor, the laboratory grew into a manufacturer of pharmaceuticals in parallel with the shop (both based in Oxford Street).

In 1908 it was decided (under the auspices of my great grandfather, Walter Hills) to separate the manufacturing aspect from the retail shop and the former (John Bell, Hills & Lucas) moved to a factory in Tower Bridge Road. Over time the connection between the two businesses dwindled. John Bell & Croydon established in Wigmore Street and in 1938 JBHL moved to Lower Sydenham. 

Sadly the latter diminishing international trade ad the growth of enormous competitors (ICI, etc) forced a selling of the business in 1965 and the JBHL brand soon thereafter disappeared. 

I am attaching a note prepared in 1948 which more fully explains this history. [I am the infant 5th generation mentioned on the 4th page.] 

I suspect that the diversion of the company's business during the Great War may have contributed to JB&C and JBHL drifting apart. I believe there is only one JB&C outlet and that it is now part of one of the big pharmaceutical retail chains. 

But the answer to your question is above and in the attached note.

I hope this is helpful - Nick Hills 

JBHL_1948_note.compressed.pdf

Please explain ... a PM ?

I think Glen may have mixed Lucas's war service with that of my grandfather, James Stuart Hills (his co-Managing Director, in fact the majority shareholder).  

JSH was, in fact, commissioned in the armoured car division of the RNVR. 

I will check about Lucas's war service (having dug out his obituary) but I believe that he ran the factory in JSH's absence before they were asked to divert to gas protection in 1915 and JSH was pulled out of active service.