Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GU Ted

I don't know, but it could well have been for his actions on the day he was wounded.  Major W McCracken's account (W095/148) says that after the 7th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders relieved the 1/Warwickshires in the line on 24 May they were under heavy bombardment as well as gas attacks.

'In the forenoon Colonel Carden sent me back to La Brique for our MO, as we had so many badly wounded officers and men in the front line...and its location probably unknown to the MO. I came back with our MO and also a company (B under Captain Paterson) of 2/Seaforth...The casualties from shell fire had continued all day, however, so much so that before I was sent to hospital in the afternoon from effects of gas 4 out of about 24 officers were left.'

Liz

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne

Liz,

Very many thanks for Maj McCracken's account with its references to Capt Murdoch's movements on 24 May.  I suspect that the best odds are on him earning his MC on the day he was wounded although assumptions have been known to be proved wrong.  Another piece of the jigsaw: thanks again.