Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Life of a Bayonet

HAL-9000

Trajan,

Hi mate, wasn't there an evaluation done within the last couple of years? I seem to remember reading an archaeological report, (possibly from the Aussies) on the state of preservation of the location.

Rod

P.S. I may be over your neck of the woods this year so will speak when I can confirm!

Yes, I remember that Australia and I think New Zealnd co-operated on some survey there, but no excavation and I haven't seen a report. What I found shocking at the time was that there was apparently no British involvement...

Julian

PS: let me know when you are around here!

Yes, I remember that Australia and I think New Zealnd co-operated on some survey there, but no excavation and I haven't seen a report. What I found shocking at the time was that there was apparently no British involvement...

Julian

PS: let me know when you are around here!

Thank you for that and I wonder if because despite it being a British operation that it has caught such an evocative hold of the popular imagination of Australia and New Zealand that the Uk has 'ceded' its memory? For example I was very lucky the other day covered elsewhere here, that I was able to buy the sword of a 1/5th Gurkha Officer (Lt-Colonel Kenneth Erskine MC) who was wounded in Gallipoli, took over his battalion temporarily and later became CO of his batt. in 1936 but was asked privately by someone who should have known better if the officer was Australian (obviously yes, he could have been naturally) but when the association of Gallipolli came on, Australia lit up. The sushi awaits you!

Hi Trajan,

I think Reserve Landwehr under the 1877 regs more likely - 40. R.L.4.166 seems like too many weapons for a field hospital!!! I guess more knowledge of how the Reserve Landwehr worked would settle it.

Cheers,

Tony

I agree - and it so happens that one of my German reference books reports this:

"34.R.L.4.50" on a P1877, which is interpreted as "Landwehr-Bataillon Stettin (Reserve-Landwehr-Bataillon Nr 34) 4 Kompagnie Gewehr Nr.50".

Trajan

T,

A simple google of archaeological survey and Gallipoli throws up several sites and references including this one!

http://www.archaeology.org/issues/92-1305/letter-from/765-anzac-gallipoli-wwi-battlefield-allied-german-ottoman

Rod

Thanks Rod! That's an interesting read - and let's hope that a proper field report appears in time.

T,

It seems there is an interim report as such, try here:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/29544542?sid=21105264414931&uid=2&uid=3738032&uid=2129&uid=2134&uid=70&uid=4

I cannot register on an MOD computer but will pull the PDF later at home!

I do wonder about the palentologists, that call themselves archaeologists down under, especially in countries that consider the Victorians as old! Maybe I'm being unkind, (or taking the mickey out of my other half who is a Kiwi!!!!).

Rod

P.S. Remember the only reason Palentologists exist - is so Archaeologists get to call someone boring at parties :w00t: !!