Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Young Soldier 17yrs RFA

SJ CLARK

May I ask if anyone could help with any information on R.SMITH, Service No 277657 RFA, age 17years Died on 11/06/1920 buried in Tehran War Cemetery. I have used the CWGC website for the known information, no Medal card not available. This young soldier is missing of the local war memorial and I would like to have more information before I apply for his name to listed.

I am most grateful for any information

SJ Clark

Is there any chance of a medal card? as his date of death and age does not place him in WW1. There are 14 non WW burials at that cemetery of which he is likely to be one of.

Regards

Paul

Hi,

He may have an Iraq GSM - medal rolls on Ancestry?

Wonder if he was post WW1 enlistment?

Does his RFA number indicate approx date of enlistment.

Steve

It looks like a post WW1 enlistment. 277199 was January 13, 1920 and 278415 was March 18, 1920.

May I say thank you to the three members who replied to my question. I am thinking that the last answer to my question is likely to be the answer I was seeking. If this is correct I believe it would disqualify him from being named on the town war memorial. Such a young age at 17 and no one can read his name. perhaps I may be able to have a small plaque made for the inside the church wall.

Thank you for all your replies

SJ Clark

He is commemorated by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, despite probably enlisting after 11th November 1918, Armistice Day, when fighting (mostly) came to an end.

The reason for this is because, for the UK, the war officially ended on 31st August, 1921, "The Termination of the Present War Act of 1918".

This is the official date on which the British Government declared the war to be at an end and is therefore the cut off date for CWGC commemorations.
He died in service within this period.
(Qualifying dates: : 4th August 1914 to 31st August 1921)
CGM

At some point he was exhumed from Karind Camp Cemetery and transferred to Tehran War Cemetery.

From CWGC:

These record details of individuals who were originally buried in smaller or isolated cemeteries, but who, at a later date, were exhumed and reburied in war cemeteries. The concentration of cemeteries allowed otherwise unmaintainable graves to be moved into established war grave cemeteries where the Commission could ensure proper commemoration.

Maybe some research into the role of the 13th Bde. Ammunition Col, Royal Field Artillery at Karin, at the time of his death, might prove of value....

CGM

Edit, I'm sorry, I left the d off KARIND.

Thanking all of you and the Major General for the latest comments. I will use this information to continue with my efforts to have his name on the war memorial. How lucky we all are to have members who are willing to help and thanks to all.

SJC