Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry

finelines

Private Thomas Paterson Fenton #17000, was reported missing on the 29 March 1918. I am looking for any information about the action around the village of Mezieres, which is where I believe he was lost. His remains were never found.

Thanks Graeme

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon, im also looking for infromation regarding the 11th Battalion prior to my first visit to the Western Front in May. Im taking some first tentative steps in finding out my Grandads service history in preparation for my trip. Ive got a copy of the medal roll and ive purchased the war diary as Graeme suggested so hoping to get something from that. I was wondering tips on finding what company he was in etc? This is what is on the medal roll.....

John Robert Guite

52nd. Grad. Bn D.L.I 5/66829

11th D.L.I. 90965

Thanks in advance

Gary

Gary

Finding his company is difficult - if service records survived they only refer to the battalion he was assigned to. If service records do exist they may include a page of his disciplinary records (Army Form B121 - Conduct Sheet); this normally states company and is signed by the company commander.

However; the big 'if' is whether the record survives. A search on Ancestry of Find my Past will show if it does.

Kind regards

Colin

Thanks for the info Colin, sadly nothing there except the medal roll for my Grandad John, but for my Grandad Billy its completely the opposite, service record but no medal roll for some reason. Im pretty hooked on this research mind you and thats after 2 days :lol: