Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant A J Rowan-Hamilton - 2nd Battalion Irish Guards

CurtisGalbraith

Good morning all,

I am researching Lieutenant Archibald James Rowan-Hamilton for a relative. Killed in action with the 2nd Battalion Irish Guards on 21st October 1915.

From Kipling's excellent history I have learned that he was shot (presumably by a sniper) just after dawn supervising clearance work after the previous night's raid towards the Hohenzollern Redoubt.

I can't make out yet whether he was still a 2nd Lieutenant; the book lists him as both and would be greatful if anyone has any more information on this Officer or period of time. We haven't yet been to Kew to look at his Papers or the Battalion War Diary - has it been scanned yet?

Any help appreciated

Curtis

The only London Gazette entry I can find is

Publication date: 2 October 1914 Supplement: 28924 Page: 7898

Irish Guards.

The undermentioned to be Second Lieutenants

(on probation): —

Robert Rankin. Dated 17th September,

Archibald James Rowan Hamilton.

Dated 23rd September, 1914.

Curtis

The war diary adds little but states:

'The men however had just sufficient cover to enable them to continue work in a crouching position and before many hours of daylight had passed they made it all good. The sniping on to this trench was very brisk and came from three different directions. This resulted in some casualties including 2Lt R Hamilton who was shot through the jaw [?] shortly after dawn whilst superintending the work. He was at once taken to the dressing station at the Chateau Vermelles, but he died about one hour after admission. He was buried in the afternoon in the British Cemetery Vermelles.'

Kind regards

Colin

Many thanks Gentlemen; the forum, the speed of response and the help never ceases to amaze me.

I am grateful to you all for the additional information. Although I am extremely interested in the First World War and - according to my wife - read about nothing else, I am by no means an expert. However, I get a tremendous amount of pleasure when, perhaps in a sentence of conversation, a friend or relative suddenly mentions someone who served and perhaps died on the Western Front. In most cases they have done little if any research and have never been out there. We then do the simple initial investigation and the soldier 'comes to life' once more. A follow up visit to the battlefield and the cemetary then ensures that man, generally long forgotten, remains in rememberance - and it's thanks to forums like this and those here who help.

Curtis

He is listed on the Coleorton war Memorial as Lt Archibald James Rowan Hamilton

I have also come across his name on the memorial by the Gatehouse of St Bartholomew's Church in London's West Smithfield, he is listed as a Lieutenant.

Moriaty

• 4 years later...

Greetings everyone.

I've been working on a project about war composers and i've been researching Lieutenant Archibald James Rowan-Hamilton which made me come here to this great discussion! 

I was wondering since the information online available isn´t much,  if you have knowledge of him composing any other musical piece besides Meditation,“Lonely Longing.”?

It has been a hard but fascinating research and all tips are welcome!

Best Regards

Mickael