Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm looking for information on the events surrounding the death of my Great Uncle, Lance Corporal George Hunter Buck, Military Medal (MM), Regimental Number 22552, B Coy 9th Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), part of 9th (Scottish) Division. He died of wounds on 22nd July 1918 after the Capture of Meteren, and is buried at Longuenese (St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery. Apparently he was a Lewis Gunner and was severely wounded after a failed trench raid at Meteren and after receiving his injuries was promoted to Lance Corporal and awarded the Military Medal. His service records were destroyed during the Clydebank Blitz in 1941. I'm not sure if he was wounded on the 19th July during the Capture of Meteren, only to die of his wounds on the 22nd July 1918 or if he was involved in trench raids on the 20th or 21st July after the main battle. Also, were the 9th Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) part of the South African Brigade or South African Composite Battalion, and part of the action on the 19th? I believe the attack on the 19th was by the 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers and South African Composite Battalion but not sure if this included the 9th Btn Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) or if they only got involved after relieving them. Any background would be welcome. Thanks.

• 9 years later...

Hi, my great Uncle James Carse, 202614, died on 23rd July 1918. I went to the National Libary of Scotland to learn more as he was in the same regiment as your Uncle. I will re-read the paperwork I have, as my uncle was also with your uncle in this battle.