Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cemeteries Map

sheilaelizabeth1951

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a map of all the WW1 cemetery sites? Have looked online but can't seem to find anything.

Sheila

There is a good Michelin map available from CWGC of the locations in Belgium & Northern France. See http://www.cwgc.org/learning-and-resources/publications/items-for-sale.aspx

I have never seen anything for other locations. Also, when you write 'cemetery sites' do you also include locations where civil cemeteries in the host countries hold a few CWGC graves? These, together with small locations in the publication mentioned above, are not shown on my version of this map.

Would a full inclusive map be feasible bearing in mind that the CWGC has responsibility for over 23,000 locations in 153 countries? See http://www.cwgc.org/about-us.aspx

Also, please note that any map should include WW2 locations of course.

Martin

The CWGC - Michelin Map is good and even better when accompanied with downloaded cemetery plans. I find these together with the War Graves app on my TomTom by far the easiest way of navigating to the many cemeteries we visit.

Bernard

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a map of all the WW1 cemetery sites? Have looked online but can't seem to find anything.

Sheila

In a word, and as a single entity ...'no'. There definitely isn't one online either.

The nearest you'll get is what has already been mentioned in previous posts added to the 'Am Rande der Strassen' series of war graves atlases produced by the VdK (there are separate volumes for France &Benelux, Germany and 'Worldwide') plus the French Necropoles Nationales atlas (which only covers France and Belgium and only illustrates official necropoles nationale but not all of the 'cimetieres francais' and none of the plots containing war graves in civilian cemeteries). An advantage off the German atlases is that they also show the location (but give no details of) of the cemeteries of other nations too under a colour coding system. The French atlas also includes other nations cemeteries that are under the care of the French and gives details (such as the Russian and Italian cemeteries in France). The ABMC also publishes much detail regarding their cemeteries (including a basic map). This is available online in pdf format.

All the above include cemeteries from both world wars and the German atlases also include many of those from the 1870-71 Franco-German War. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure whether the German and French atlases are still published as I obtained mine about 20 years ago and have never had need to look for any others since!

Dave.

Here's an example from one of the German atlases for illustration. The purple, numbered spots represent German WW1 cemeteries, the green spots represent French cemeteries, orange spots represent British cemeteries and the blue spot represents a cemetery from other nations (in this case USA) ...

post-357-0-24380900-1420150736_thumb.jpg

Thanks alot Mike. This need to have a map of cemeteries has come about because I'm involved in tracing relatives for 2 new WW1 memorials to be dedicated in April. One at Piccadilly station, Manchester and the other at Marylebone in London. I'm tracing living relatives to attend the ceremonies, it's a total of approx 130 men. The more I learn and the more fascinated I become and I have this crazy idea that I would like to visit each grave and each memorial that I've researched, but wasn't able to find a map with them all marked.

Sheila

Thanks everyone, you've been a great help in pointing me in the right direction. I'm involved in tracing relatives for 2 new WW1 memorials to be dedicated in April, totalling over 130 men. I have this crazy idea that I would like to visit each grave and memorial of the men I've researched, as I've become fascinated by it all, but couldn't find a map with all the sites on.

Sheila :poppy:

CWGC booklet Cemeteries & Memorials in Northern France is a handy guide.

Sheila, in case you have Google Earth on your computer you can download a KMZ-file (scroll down to "Instructions") which shows every CWGC-cemetery on the planet in Google Earth. You can click each one and even zoom down to street level.

Roel

• 3 weeks later...

Sheila,

two other options: the CWGC has an app mapping all the cemeteries that seems to work quite good.

What I do now before embarking on a tour is going to Google maps, type " "Cemetery" in the vincinity of xxx " and it gives you a good overview... not all, unfortunately, but an idea.

example for Fromelles: https://www.google.be/maps/search/cemetery+%C3%A0+proximit%C3%A9+de+Fromelles/@50.6246197,2.8470338,13z?hl=fr

MM;

• 2 years later...

Other than buying it online, the CWGC Michelin cemetery map to Belgium and France seems to be increasingly difficult to purchase on the continent (not available at Thiepval or in Ieper or Peronne), does anyone know if:

it contains all cemeteries that have CWGC burials?

it is out of print?

if so, is it being re-printed and does it contain the new cemetery Pheasant Wood at Fromelles?

Moriaty

Edited by Moriaty

I am sure I have seen it for sale at Vimy.  Don't know whether Fromelles is in a new copy, mine is older than the cemetery's creation.

It doesn't contain every CWCG burial site.   Many of the churchyards that contain, just a few burials are not shown.  That is where the CWGC app is useful, every burial site comes up.

Mandy

Ive got the CWGC app on Garmin and phone.

when I visit and get requests I make a list then put into Google maps, I then work out an itinery. often I end up doing lowerhalf to Thiepval area one day and work up, then another day Arras down. obviously there are other directions I then work in when possible. probably around 150km a day.

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/places/somme-cemeteries.htm is another site I have used a lot

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/places/french-flanders-cemeteries.htm

Edited by chaz

• Admin

I find the CWGC app never works for me in the field when using my iPhone. 

Michelle 

my iPhone 4 and xperia both work fine, which is unusual as I suffer in the house being unable to get a constant signal as 3 providers clash  in our front room!!

https://www.poigraves.uk/ is my best on the Garmin but downloads available for TomTom

The CWGC App used to be very good but for some reason it doesn't do half of what it used to do any more.  And it doesn't link to their website.