Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifleman Charles Page 2/KRRC

minoula

Remembering great uncle Charles William Page 11941 2nd Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps. Charles was born in Nechells/Aston, Birmingham and joined up as soon as war was declared. He had been in France for just over 30 days when he was killed near to the La Bassee canal close to Cuinchy in northern France. He was 19 years old. The grief suffered as a result of his loss meant that he was never spoken about and, as a result, was unknown to our current family until we began looking into our family tree. We are glad to have found him and brought his memory back to our family so that we can remember him with love 100 years on from his death today.

Always remembered RIP Charles :poppy:

My paternal Grandfather was a pre war regular who was also in the 2/KRRC (see my signature) they may have known each other we'll never know, regards Keith

Remembered minoula along with those from 2KRRC who fell as they were forced out of their trenches, and those from their 2nd Brigade sister battalion 2nd Royal Sussex and later the Scots Guards and North Lancs who fell trying regaining them and not seeing in 1915 :poppy:

My paternal grandfather, John Crabb, was also in the 2KRRC. He may well have known your great-uncle as John had been a regular soldier (originally a boy soldier serving in India). Luckily for me, he survived the war.

My wife's great-uncle was in the Welsh Guards and was killed near Albert on 29 January 1917. We visited his grave about five years ago and will be returning in two years' time on the 100th anniversary of his death.

Your great-uncle was a brave man - RIP.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Just got back onto the forum after a break of several years. Working too hard but semi retired now. My Grandfather Thomas William Smith was in 2KRRC and was also a regular, but in 1st Btn serving in Egypt. Do you have any info on your grandfathers experiences in WW1? i have reaserched 2KRRC and have been down to the regimental base in Winchester. I would be happy to exchange info if you are interested?

Regards Mike

• 2 weeks later...

My WIFES UNCLE 11603 PRIVATE Henry Moorey served in the 2nd battalion KRRC and was wounded near the La Bassee canal

and died of his wounds in Bethune on the 25th January 1915 . We visited his grave in the town cemetery in Bethune last April and plan to return this year he also lost his younger brother R/12896 private Jesse Moorey of the 1st battalion KRRC killed in Devil wood 27 JULY 1916 no known grave remembered on the Thiepval memorial .

Rest in peace all the great men of the KRRC.

Peter.