Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Warwickshire [South Midland)Bty.RGA

tony paley

I am researching a soldier for a friend. The soldier is Gunner 314081 Joseph Bonham Royal Garrison Artillery. From his pension records, service number, and MIC I am more or les convinced that he served with the 1st Warwickshire Heavy Battery RGA. He enlisted in the TF in 1912 and his home address was in Wednesbury, he entered France in March 1915. He was wounded in October 1917 when I believe he was in the Ypres area. I would be more than grateful if our Heavy RGA experts could tell me:-

a) What groups/brigades the above battery served with between 1915 and 1917. The battery left for Italy in November 1917.

B) The location of the battery in October 1917 when Gunner Bonham was wounded.

I have several Corps heavy artillery diaries which may help me when I have the above information. Thanks in anticipation and a 'Happy New Year' to all !

Tony P

Strange, there was a reply from kevrow to this post. I have checked my corps Heavy artillery diaries for X Corps and a month of Anzac corps without trace of 1st South Midland Heavy Battery RGA.I believe they were with 11HAG and then in October 1917 52 HAG, could the battery have been north of Ypres any information regarding this unit from it's entry to france in April 1915 will be welcome.

Tony P

Tony,

I don't think you really need to view all the HAGs as from entry to end July 17 is all covered in the one official WD at WO95/302. I only say this as Heavy Btys that are Army Troops can be notoriously difficult to find within Discovery in case you had not found it and thought it missing, as well as the theatre being a period of 'Double Groups'. There after you require 52 HAG from 6.8.17 until coming under 11 HAG 7.9.17; during which your man was wounded on 19.10.17. The recorded battery map coordinate in 11 HAG for Sept, which is the same given for Oct is I27a.4.8. This is Sheet 28 which I make South of Ypres, East of Bedford House.

Rgds

Paul

Paul,

Many thanks for that, I was beginning to wonder why I was having difficulty in tracking the battery, strangely that location is close if not identical to where my grandfather's 84 HAG had their batteries at that time, Chester Farm, Spoilbank, and La Chapelle. There was a post from Kevrow attached but it seems to have disappeared but that information is a great help.

Tony P