Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German soldiers with Ersatz bayonets

Cnock

From what I have read Julian, you are absolutely correct about the 1914 shortfall in bayonets being the 'spur' behind the manufacture of ersatz models. From what I can tell there is nothing physically wrong with an all metal bayonet, the feel and balance seem ok. I wonder why they didn't continue on with production instead of returning to the 'originals' that appear to require more 'workmanship'.

khaki

Thanks Khaki,

I now have the documentary evidence to narrow down production even further, and I promise to have it all out here when I have got it all sorted out. Basically Prussia (and Bavaria) were already short of some 500,000 bayonets by autumn 1914 - but Ersatz production seems to have peaked summer 1916 and ended late 1916: in fact it seem that by early 1917 they were giving S.98/05 to the Landswehr and Landsturm, and then started shipping out Ersatz and new S.98/05 to Turkey!

• 3 weeks later...

Can't remember which thread I posted on last time about my Ersatz unit-associated bayonet listings! But this will do nicely as I still haven't scoured the on-line pages for ones such as posted here... (although Motojosh has kindly being keeping me up to date).

Briefly, I wanted to check Carter's considered opinion on who these bayonets went to as expressed by: "The recorded unit markings which have been added to since the 1st edition was published are in the main those of recruiting and clothing depots, training battalions and companies from infantry regiments and for machine gun troops, Landwehr or Landsturm formations and lines of communication units."

Having the advantage of more published examples since he wrote (and yet not including (to date) in my listings any those on the web), plus of course computer tools Carter never had (Excel!), it becomes quite clear - especially once the photographic evidence is included - that Ersatz are to be found everywhere....

I don't want to reveal all as yet as more analysis needs to be done, and I need to scour the web properly, but just for the record, of the 406 examples I have of Ersatz bayonets that can be unit-associated (by marking or photographic evidence), a whopping 160 go to regular, and reserve, infantry regiments. Add in Feld Artillerie, MGK and mounted units, then we just crack the 50% mark (BUT, I have no Fuss-Artillerie examples at all!) Once you add the Landwehr regiments, then easily more than 50% are issued to units in or on paper at least probably in active service (and landsturm were also often on active service as well...).

And so essentially, the evidence does not support what Carter was hinting at, that these Ersatz bayonets went mainly to 'REMF's'... In fact clothing and recruiting depots account for a mere 37 to date.

Don't get me wrong - Carter was a leader in the studies of this class of bayonet, and all praise to him for establishing the basic reference works on the subject! However, time to lay to rest the idea that Ersatz bayonet = second or even third line unit...

Trajan