Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

percy mackelden medals?oking

Guest allyfurr

Looking for my Great Grandads medals. His name was Percy Mackelden he was in the Royal West kent regiment (1914-12-9-16) and the Bedford and herts regiment (12-09-16 - 1918) His service numbers are 5093 and 60018. I have searched many sites for them but no luck. I would also like if anyone knows where I might find a photo of him too in army uniform. If anyone has any idea of where or who might know where the medals are please contact me please. Or where I can find photos too.

many thanks

alison

Hello Alison

Welcome to the Forum.

It appears that your Gt Grandfather received a 1914-15 Star named 5093 Private T G Mackeldon, Royal West Kent Regiment and the British War Medal and Victory Medal named 5093 Private P G Mackelden, Royal West Kent Regiment.

I would suggest that you ask your close and distant family first to discover the whereabouts of his medals and possibly a photograph. Failing that his local newspaper may be the only possible photograph source. You are lucky that his service papers have survived which will give a description of him
see here on Ancestry
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=percy&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=Mackelden&gsln_x=XO&cpxt=1&catBucket=rstp&uidh=qf3&cp=11&pcat=39&h=1498101&db=BritishArmyService&indiv=1&ml_rpos=2

As for his medals it may also be worth joining the British Medal Forum and posting on there.
See
http://www.britishmedalforum.com/

Hope this helps

Sepoy

Guest allyfurr

Dear Sepoy

Thank you for the information I will try the British medal forum. I have asked the family and some people say he sold them, others have know idea about them at all. Everyone has searched for a photo of him in uniform and can't find one. We have photos of him but not in uniform. If someone has them and could or want to sell them then I am willing to buy them. Its my family and its important to me. After the war he lost his whole family to the flu and he become a heavy drinker. He did re marry and have more children but still liked to drink a bit to much. He also got gased in the ww1 and I am trying to find out where from his service records, but it is a bit hard to read.

Thank you for your help

love

Alison

x