Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

genegwf

I purchased a muzzle protector for my GEW 98 several weeks ago.It seems the installation is simple but I cannot get the thing on. I have googled and searched the web for instructions on how to put this part on the rifle. Is anyone willing to share the secret?

Thanks for any help!

Gene

Well simple things! What you need is a cup of tea to mull it over?

TT

Coffee always seems to work better for me ... especially early in the day. Stronger the better (no sugar) - that gets the job done.!

Cheers, S>S

I'm sure the below photo isn't going to be much help, as you've already googled it, but that's how it looks like fitted (and might be of interest to anyone not familiar with how they look).

I wonder if the one you have might be for a carbine (K98) (and perhaps a slightly different fitting?). Just a thought.

Bob.

post-12738-0-66351400-1419897676_thumb.j

Is that the design posted above what you have Genef?

If so...slip over muzzle and twist until clip rests behind sight.

Chris

Note there are versions of this for several of the Mausers - Brazilian Chilean Spanish etc and WWII "flap" style

Hello Chris,

The one I have is not like any of the pictures you kindly posted.

The part that actually covers the muzzle is hinged and flips up toward the front sight.

I have tried the rotation method but the back part will not slip behind the rear sight.

I am beginning to think this is not the correct protector.

Thanks for your help.

Gene

After a strong cup of coffee,without sugar,and a mulling over of the situation with a cup of tea......(thanks guys!)

I managed to get the protector on! Please hold the applause....

I seriously doubt it will ever come off.

Chris,your technique worked,with a little added force!

Gene

Gene is it like this? (I think this is a WWII Kar 98 one) its what I meant to link on my last link above.

Chris

The gew98 muzz covers can be a bit of a pain if they have dried grease inside the body where the coil spring rests. Notice one side of the arch that goes to the back of the sight base has no lip. When muzz cvr is pushed on depresing internal spring you then rotate in the direction of the no lip side and let off pressure as it aligns with sight base and wallah it's in place. The hinged cap acts as a protector of the rifling when cleaning as well. I have one for EVERY gew98 I have and managed a couple spares in the event I find another gew98. Working on trading my matching 1914 Erfurt kar98a for a nice matching 1915 DWM gew98 w/sling. Always liked the rifles better myself.

post-7211-0-41400900-1419949687_thumb.jp

Gew98,

Thanks very much for the above post and for the photos of your muzzle covers. Until now I have never seen one with a maker's name - not that I have seen many as examples are very hard to come by - and now you produce two! Indeed, in his book "Rifle & Carbine 98" Dieter Storz wrote:

"As muzzle caps do not have manufacturers' marks, the origins of preserved items cannot be ascertained."

Another interesting feature of your example for the Gew 98 is that it does not appear to have been nickel-plated. Is that correct? Again referring to Dieter Storz's book he writes that the covers were nickel-plated to provide rust protection and a clear contrast in colour with the dark barrel. The example in my collection - photo attached - is not plated and I am beginning to wonder whether that is not more common than otherwise.

Good luck with the search for your next Gew 98.

Regards,

Michael.

post-53132-0-31753800-1420120086_thumb.j

post-53132-0-92934400-1420120114_thumb.j

MH ; I sent this very pic to dieter after I got a copy of his book some years ago. His most problematic avenue of information was he relied mostly upon museum and "local to him" collections in europe. Obviously this limited his exposure to such details regrettably so. I have more muzz covers marked "samsonwerke" on the side of the body as well. The pre 1915 muzz cover was nickel plated and profusely fraktur proofed. Post 1914 the germans had to simplify. They discontinued the nickel finish and went to a dull metal with a very thin flat gray paint finish. I have several that are nearly mint in regards to the grat paint finish , but most encountered are worn looking due to the paint having long ago given up the ghost.

I have several and seen many more that were apparently serialed to the rifles by unit level armorers. I say this as a friend has a 1918 VC Schilling gew98 that the muzz cover is serialed to it and the rifle is a bolt mismatch only.

gew98,

Thanks very much for all the information - much appreciated. I am amazed that you have managed to collect so many muzzle covers for the Gew98. The only one I have I purchased in the U.S.A. many years ago; I cannot recall seeing one for sale in the U.K. although I was lucky enough to find one for my M.71.

Anyway, again many thanks for sharing your information.

Regards,

Michael.

I have one of these somewhere, going to have to get it out and take a photo of it now. They are a curious looking implement.

Found it sitting in a bits tray at a gun show.! Kind of recognised it and then when I saw the Imperial inspection mark - SOLD.! :thumbsup:

Managed to find that thread I started at the time, so HERE is the link if anyone is interested. The cover might take some locating.!

Cheers, S>S

I picked up the below a few years ago, it was supposed to be for a Mauser rifle, but is quite different from the ones above. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

Tony

post-22051-0-35419200-1420490863_thumb.j

post-22051-0-62479900-1420490879_thumb.j

post-22051-0-27929700-1420490888_thumb.j

msdt, IIRC, your muzzle cover is for a Portuguese Mauser but I can't recall which one. Bill (gew98) will correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks Gew 88/05, I've got it now - Model 937 / M39. Seem to be a lot about for sale!!! Somebody must have found a few crates full somewhere!

Cheers,

Tony

Glad to help. Yes there are a lot of them.