Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gas - 2nd Ypres

Chris Boonzaier

During the German 1st gas attack the 51 reserve division's infantry adavanced.... but does anyone know what the Divisional cavalry abteilung did?

Were they in the line? Were they in reserve? Were they serving as foot soldiers?

Anyone have an idea :(

Thanks

Chris

Hi Alec,

I think that is true during the first weeks of the war, but wonder if it was still so once the sides had dug in.

I cannot find any mention of jolly jumpers on the battlefield at 2nd Ypres.

all the best

Chris

Hi Chris,

I am probably not sure about this, but though the ongoing of the war, most German troops were hid in trenches, so my guessing is that the German were very rare in on 2 Ypres battlefield since it was so hard to see any of them, most probable was the recon in that area, but not a full scale advance. You know what i can recommend you to a site that iam a member of it is a forum covers all the topics of war and alot of people are logged on everyday here it is: forum.axishistory.com

Cheers

My interest is the 1st Bn Royal Irish Fusiliers who were at St Julien and around Wieltje during 2nd Ypres. In the memoirs of the C/O Lt Col A.R. Burrowes he vividly describes one gas attack towards the end of May 1915 and describes "the hissing of the gas as it was dispensed from the cannisters from the German trenches", and eventually the appearance "through the mist of the greycoats at our wire", suggesting the German attacks were purely infantry in the sector around Wieltje in the latter phase of 2nd Ypres. The attacks was repulsed by concerted machine gun and rifle fire of the soldiers at the wire, which caused them to fall back. There is no mention of cavalry.

By the time of 2nd Ypres the British were also reasonably well dug in; the Germans were also of course, with barbed wire entanglements in front of both sets of trenches.

In some places the trenches were not so far apart. I find it hard to believe that cavalry would be that useful in such type of warfare. The ground in no-mans land could at times be extremely heavy going depending on the weather. The soldiers on both sides were more alert when the ground was firmer i.e. after a frost etc.

Kevin.

Immediately after the gas attack on the 22nd April 1915 there was obviously concern about possible German cavalry. The War Diary of 123 Heavy Battery refers to them being warned to prepare for possible attack by cavalry and they constructed 'zaribas' as defence round their guns [4.7 inch] and set fuzes on some ammo to '0'. None appeared though.

Alan

Hello,

The German cavalry was mostly used as infantry on the Western Front from October 1914 on, although they were also used in the rear areas as military police.

Jan