Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are there service papers for 7427 Pte F.W.Thompson

sutton-in-craven

Hi members. I've been trying to determine whether there are any service papers for the following pre-war serviceman:

7427 Pte Frederick William Thompson. 2nd Border Regiment. Born 1885 in Penrith, Cumberland. Killed December 1914.

He was also a pre-WW1 serviceman, so I am hoping I can also find a copy of his papers for his previous service prior to him being killed in WW1

Any help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks, Andrew

Whether he was a pre-War serviceman or not, his service record would be subject to the same devestation as the others, I assume you've checked Ancestry for them.

His number means an enlistment date of mid 1904, so unless he extended his service beyond the regulation 7 years with the Colours, he'd have been a "Mobilised Reservist" in 1914. Have you looked on the 1911 Census for him?

Sam

Hi Sam, that's very interesting.

The 1911 census shows Frederick married to Sarah also from Penrith, but they are living in Keighley just 5 miles from Sutton-in-Craven. They've been married for 3 years and have 2 children aged 3 and 1 years, both born in Penrith.

Frederick's occupation in 1911 is listed as a foundry labourer, so clearly he had left the army by 1911.

Mike, I've checked FMP, but not Ancestry.

I think it's looking like the papers were destroyed which would be disappointing

The 1911 census shows Frederick married to Sarah also from Penrith, but they are living in Keighley just 5 miles from Sutton-in-Craven. They've been married for 3 years and have 2 children aged 3 and 1 years, both born in Penrith.

Have you checked the Marriage, 3 and 1 year olds birth Certs to see what his occupation was? Should have been Soldier.

Sam

No will listed that I can see....sorry. WFA pension records might help but an expensive option!