Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Billy Bennett, comedian

Mark Hone

As a sort of follow up to my previous postings on famous people, does anyone know any details about the war service of music hall comedian Billy Bennett who apparently won the DCM and MM while serving with the 16th Lancers?

Mark

The only assistance I can give is to confirm that he did win the DCM and MM whilst with the 16th Lancers and that he was reported wounded on 24 April 1915. He died in 1942.

Mark

I think I can remember seeing something about him in an edition of "Scarlet and Green", which was the 16th/5th The Queen's Royal Lancers regimental journal (before amalgamation with the 17th/21st Lancers in 1993). I will have a root around and report back if I find it.

Mark

I have had a look at my "Scarlet and Green" collection and Billy Bennett is mentioned in an article in the 1990 edition. Apparently, as well as being "Almost a Gentleman", he had a huge tattoo of the 16th Lancers cap badge on his chest! Sounds like he was quite a character. However, the article does not go into any detail about his service with the regiment.

If you send me your address I will post a photocopy of the this page to you if you are interested.

Thanks for the info. I'd be interested in a photocopy of the article, thanks. I've got the CD 'Almost A Gentleman'-I'm normally a fan of Music Hall-style materail, e.g. Max Miller but I haven't quite latched on to BB yet.

Billy Bennett was born in Athy, County Kildare