Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a Naval Uniform?

Chris_B

Perhaps someone could help indentify this uniform. Is it Naval? (Dark with double breasted reefer type jacket). What are the right and left sleeve markings?

Thanks,

Chris.

post-23-1099499634.jpg

My only guess would be that the two small chevrons on the wearers right arm are overseas service chevrons ( one fore each year served overseas) and that the chevron on the left arm would be a good conduct stripe. I would also agree that it looks naval.

Firstly, are you sure he is British/Commonwealth or of the WW1 era?

Photo looks like being of that era, but most wore rounded, detachable collars on their shirts rather than the more modern cut that is being worn (more 1930s-).

On his left arm, is that a chevron/stripe? If so, this could indicate a naval good conduct badge for four years' good service and thus point to Navy.

Could be a member of an ancillary (not seamen, stoker, signaller) branch of the Navy, who wore jackets and ties rather than square rig.

However, these were usually single-breasted (unlike officers'), and I can't place the inverted small chevrons on right cuff unless certain Naval branches (RND?) adopted overseas service chevrons and used their own design.

Bryan will probably be able to place it with more certainty.

Richard

Hi Chris,

I would guess thats he is RN & wearing the Class III uniform worn by members of the supply branch- ie: Writers, Stewards, Storesmen, Cooks, etc, also worn by RNAS artificer ratings.

The photo is very dark, so I cannot make out the badge on his left arm but it appears to be a red Good Conduct badge (min of three yrs service). The tunic should have black buttons & there should be 6 of them altho I cannot make these out in the photo.

The WS chevrons are a mystery to me, these should be blue & red - I have never seen them in what appears to be gold or silver before.

Bryan

Richard & Bryan,

Many thanks for your opinions about this individual's uniform. It is a scan of a photograph which is not in my possession and is just one person in a family group ( See my other post http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=22218 for this man's brother) and is definitely from the period of the Great War. His jacket does appear to have six buttons.

Whatever branch of the RN he served in, I hope to find his records in the ADM files one day.

Regards,

Chris.

Yes Chris that would clear up a lot of questions you might have - if he was indeed RN his SR should be in the ADM 188 series. This would tell you all the details of his RN service career. Generally one can tell from his ON (Official number) if he was RN, RNVR or RNR.

In my earlier post I forget the Sick Berth Branch - they also wore the class III uniform.

I cannot see any badges on his right sleeve - if he was in the supply branch he might be wearing the rate badge of this branch which at that time would have been a star. so perhaps you could have a look at the photo & see if he might be wearing a star on his right sleeve.

Bryan

Maybe you can compare this to modern-ish uniforms.

The apparent lack of a branch badge on the left arm would indicate that he was an artificer. When I started my apprenticeship as a 'tiff we wore the same uniform and also had black buttons for the earlier part of training.

Class leaders would be rotated and they would wear chevrons, but on the epaullettes of their No8 shirts / jumpers.

Mick