Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified group photo

Battle14_18

After such an amazing response to my first ever posting on your forum (in fact, any forum, ever) I've attached a group photo from my family album. Unfortunately I know nothing about it. Can anyone shed any light at all on this group. I'd be very grateful for any information.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

post-118784-0-86713800-1419341533_thumb.

Looks like a group of RFC (Royal Flying Corps) men to me. Note caps and "maternity" tunics (buttoning across front) and what appear to be RFC shoulder titles.

Chris

The officers don't seem to be wearing pilot's wings (although the one in the middle might have an observer's half wing, or it might be a blemish): I wonder if this indicates a training establishment in the UK rather than an operational squadron in France?

The officers don't seem to be wearing pilot's wings (although the one in the middle might have an observer's half wing, or it might be a blemish): I wonder if this indicates a training establishment in the UK rather than an operational squadron in France?

Or perhaps a maintenance/depot unit.

Fairly impressive building in the background. Big wooden beams and tiled roof. If I had to guess I would say continental Europe rather than UK. Farm blg around a courtyard?

And a group of 6 attached, non-RFC, officers in the middle, including one Jock (the one on the left with a Glengarry) and various collar dogs.

And a group of 6 attached, non-RFC, officers in the middle, including one Jock (the one on the left with a Glengarry) and various collar dogs.

This was common for aircrew officers as it still is today for the present day Army Air Corps. Indeed Prince Harry fulfils a similar role currently. I agree that the photo looks like a large RFC depot such as Farnborough.

Thanks for these very helpful replies. I'm trying to tie this in with my ancestors and unfortunately I'm not aware of any in the RFC. The only possible connection I can think of might be a reference from ancestry.com when researching Charles Stanley Fisher (see my other thread "Cap Badge Confusion") who died of flu with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in Aintree (which I never knew so thanks for that). Ancestry gave his theatre of war as "Brough - sic". I never understood this but there was a WW1 airfield there (and still an airfield today I believe). Could he have been guarding the airfield? possibly with another regiment? or perhaps it's just a red-herring!

Thanks

Colin