Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Enlistment

Broznitsky

I'm researching a man who could be my lost grandad. He was a Londoner, living in Stepney at 1901 census. He enlisted 17 Aug 14, was discharged 7 Jul 15 from 3 Manchester (no longer physically fit) and noted as wounded. From his number 2/5838, we think he might have started with 2 Mancs.

In 1914 London, could he enlist in the Regular Army into a kind of "general pool", and then get transferred to 2nd Mancs, as needed? Or when you enlisted off the street, were you automatically placed into a specific regiment/battalion? (The latter was Canadian practice).

Would it have been practice for a regiment like Manchester to have a recruiting office outside of Manchester, like London?

As you may guess, I am trying to determine if he joined up in London or travelled to Manchester . . .

(By the way, what were the next largest cities in England in 1914, after London??)

Interesting, I am currently looking at 2 great uncles. As far as I know, they both enlisted in London, or there abouts. one ended up in the Royal Scots, the other in 2nd Bradford Pals.

JOhn

Broz

I've already given you my best Manchester guess on this one, in your original post, so don't have anything really to add.

Next sized cities, then as now, would be Birmingham and Manchester.

Good hunting

John

B)

• 10 months later...
In 1914 London, could he enlist in the Regular Army into a kind of "general pool", and then get transferred to 2nd Mancs, as needed? Or when you enlisted off the street, were you automatically placed into a specific regiment/battalion?

Would it have been practice for a regiment like Manchester to have a recruiting office outside of Manchester, like London?

Just wondering if anybody has any further thoughts about my quote questions, 11 months later . . . (now that we are all smarter . . .)

Peter in Vancouver