Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt, Reginald Vance Cummins 15th Welsh Regiment

robbeth@sympatico.ca

Please help!

I have been attempting to reconstruct my Great Grandfathers military background and have found the following:

Reginald Vance Cummins was born September 7, 1889. He married Lillian Cummins July 24, 1908.

He was a member of the 15th Welsh Regiment from the period of February 1915 until December 1916. His RFC service record shows his entry date as March 15, 1916 and was medically discharged January 15, 1919 as unfit.

While I have copies of his service record from his time in the RFC, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to get his service record for his time in the 15th Welsh.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Robert Jenkins, Ottawa, Canada

Hi Robert,

Here's the Long,Long Trail entry for the 15th:

13th (Service) Battalion (2nd Rhondda)
Formed at Cardiff on 23 October 1914. Moved to Rhyl and came under orders of 129th Brigade in 43rd Division.
28 April 1915 : formation became the 114th Brigade in 38th (Welsh) Division. Moved to Winchester in August 1915.
Landed at Le Havre in December 1915.

14th (Service) Battalion (Swansea)
Formed at Swansea in October 1914 by the Mayor and Corporation and the Swansea Football and Cricket Club.
Record same as 13th Bn.

15th (Service) Battalion (Carmarthenshire)
Formed by the Carmarthenshire County Committee in October 1914.
Record same as 13th Bn.

Do you mean December 1915 rather than 1916? Did he leave the WR before the battalion landed at Le Havre, which would explain the lack of a Medal Index Card stating his date of entry (and entitlement to the Victory and British medals)?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the help.

I have the GBM AIR79 704 00239 card for Vance that I have attached (let me know if you can view it). Vance was in the 15th Battalion before remustering to the RFC in late 1916. The left hand side of the card has his Prior Engagement in H. M. Forces with the 15th Battalion from February 1915 until December 1916.

Page two of the card shows his medals recieved as being the 'British W and V' medal along with the Silver War Badge number 3284.

I know of his time in the RFC, but his service with the 15th Battalion is a mystery. He served with the 15th for a period of 22 months. There is a family postcard he mailed to his wife in 1915 prior to shipping off to France. I have endevoured to get the date from this postcard, but have yet to get them. I only have a copy of the front of the postcard and not the back which would have the postmarks and date.

Not sure if this helps clear anything up, but I appreciate your help.

Robert

No attachment Robert..

OK, so date of entry into France with the 15th was 15th March 1916 and the postcard was at least 3 months prior to this. The only major engagement which involved the 114th Brigade of the 38th Division was the Battle of Albert, the opening of the Somme offensive, which resulted in very heavy losses at Mametz Wood and the Division being out of action for several months. The battalion war diaries at the National Archives here are downloadable for £3.30 (or free to view at Kew). They are unlikely to mention him by name, but they should give useful context and day-to-day details..

Mike

Reference from the GBR AIR document - Silver War Badge No 3284 date 1.2.1919

Here is the rear of the document with the reference to the above.

Mike, sorry for the error before. Please see the attached GBR AIR document.

Thanks,

Robert

post-54763-0-46346800-1419015729_thumb.j

post-54763-0-62034800-1419015742_thumb.j

Thanks Robert tho' I can't find my magnifying glass!

The "date of actual entry" on the first page into the RFC (not France) says 16th March 1915 but the "Trans RFC" on the reverse says 16th March 1917.

If the latter is correct and the first a mistake, he was in the Welsh Regiment as stated but there's no evidence that he went overseas with them. The British and Victory medals could have been awarded for his service in the RFC in France as shown on the second page.

What does the 1915 postcard say "prior to shipping off to France"?

So what was he doing in the Welsh Regiment for so long? Which was your original question!

Sorry I can't unravel this - perhaps someone with better eyes can..

Mike

Thanks Mike. I tried to upload a copy of the record as best I could. Not sure if you can open it, save it, and then view it in a different (larger) format?

I hope to get the rest of the information from the back of the postcard over this weekend. Once I do, I will post it on this thread.

I likely will never know more about his time with the 15th Battalion and I am afraid anyone with the knowledge is long since passed.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it!

Robert

The 15th Welsh arrived in France in early December 1915.

Forum member Steve John has written a book on the battalion.

I'll email him...

Bernard

Thank you Bernard.

I appreciate it!

Happy to help. Steve is an expert!

Bernard

Thanks Mike. I tried to upload a copy of the record as best I could. Not sure if you can open it, save it, and then view it in a different (larger) format?

Robert

Right click on the page, Copy image, paste into WORD and magnify to 150 or 200% worked for me, although the focus on the characters is a bit soft.

I see the Silver War Badge entry, but still can't trace a record of this.

Steve states that it seems that Reg did not go overseas with the 15th.

Bernard

Thanks for the reply Bernard.

Presumably there would be attestation papers for Vance at the time he enlisted detailing his time with the Welsh?

Thanks,

Robert

Steve states that it seems that Reg did not go overseas with the 15th.

Bernard

Hello Bernard,

Any ideas on how the 15th Welsh and the MGC may be connected? I found a medal card index for Reginald Cummins indicating his service with the MGC. His rank was private and serial number 138518.

Could this be the same man?

Thanks,

Robert

Hello Bernard,

Any ideas on how the 15th Welsh and the MGC may be connected? I found a medal card index for Reginald Cummins indicating his service with the MGC. His rank was private and serial number 138518.

Could this be the same man?

Thanks,

Robert

quote name="Bernard_Lewis" post="2202747" timestamp="1419155579"]Steve states that it seems that Reg did not go overseas with the 15th.

Bernard