Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maps with Aerodrome locations?

WWGeezer

In the early chapters of "The Blue Max" there is a description of the Jasta's and their locations as part of the Captain briefing the squad. The book starts in February 1918.

The text roughly outlines

Jasta 2, 26,27,36 at Erchin

Jasta 4,14 at Masney

Jasta 20, 32 at Guesnain

Jg1, Jasta 11 at Avesnes Le Sec

Jasta 4,6,10 at Lieu St Amand and Iwuy

Bruno Stachel's base is described as being near Beauvin. The front location is near the Scarpe, Arra and St. Quentin

Does anyone have any examples of maps of that era that show aerodrome locations and this region?

I am looking for something I can use a basis of a map to render for an exhibit.

Any help would be appreciated!

Salute...

I've no idea where 'Beauvin' actually is (is it a real or a fictional place?), but here's a sample map from 1918 that illustrates 6 German airfields in the area of 'Beauvois' which would be central(ish) for the front line between Arras and St.Quentin...

Dave

*** Image removed due to obvious lack of interest from the OP ***

This map (August 1918) shows airfields at Erchin and Villers-au-Tertre. There may be others on it, but I couldn't see one at Guesnain.

Use the same site to move on to Sheet 51A SW (18 Sept 1918) and you will pick up Avesnes-le-Sec and a few more.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Phil, very many thanks for that link.

I am not interested in the airfields, but the whole set of maps held under the National Library of Scotland site and whow you can overlay them with the modern maps is fantastic and a very useful resource. I have added it to my ever expanding list of "Useful websites".

Evan

Thank you all for the information provided. I apologize for not responding back sooner. Holidays hit and family came to town and lost track of the request. Meant no disrespect.