Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inscriptions on shell bases

StAubyns

I have acquired 2 shell cases that have been decorated that I would like some information about. They are 350 mm high by 85 mm at the base.

The inscription on the base of shell 1 is MGM 673 L .17 USA.....75 DE C

The inscription on the base of shell 2 is RS L 1992 16 1...RS(smaller text at an angle) 75 DE C

Any information would be appreciated

regards

Geoff

post-4232-0-75630400-1418744952_thumb.jp

post-4232-0-36604500-1418745031_thumb.jp

post-4232-0-87412900-1418745111_thumb.jp

I believe that it is for the french 75 mm field gun (75 DE C. 75 De Campagne). The Americans used this piece so that could explain the USA)

Nigel

I believe that it is for the french 75 mm field gun (75 DE C. 75 De Campagne). The Americans used this piece so that could explain the USA)

Nigel

They are, of course, cartridge cases not shell cases.

Cartridge cases contain a low explosive to propel shells, shells contain high explosive and break into small fragments (unless they are carrier shells delivering a different type of payload). It can be quite important to understand the difference. Obviously 'shell case' is of course in instance of verbosity unless case refers to transport packaging (eg wood or metal boxes).

Nice examples of 'trench art' there - any chance of you adding that as a topic tag for others to find?

Many thanks for the replies :)

So American made cartridge cases for French made guns..that would explain the "17" as year of manufacture of one of the cases.

Thanks for pointing out the difference between a shell and cartridge case, not something that I had thought about but obvious when pointed out. I should have realised the difference as I do shoot a Lee Enfield SMLE and as such I shoot a cartridge and not a shell :(

As to them being "trench art", I don't think that that is strictly what they are. I understand that they were made after the armistice as souvenirs for tourists, so probably mass produced?

regards

Geoff

As to them being "trench art", I don't think that that is strictly what they are. I understand that they were made after the armistice as souvenirs for tourists, so probably mass produced?

Yes, I was rather lax in using the term 'trench art' in this case as although I don't know enough about the production of such items, examples like yours do have that 'professional' feel about them. But there again, I feel that 'trench art' as a generic term is a useful way of referring to these items made from spent cases.