Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian abbreviations - probably depots

rolt968

Can anyone please help with some Canadian abbreviations? I suspect they are all depots.

The soldier is George Anderson, 425519

When he arrived in the UK (25/3/1916) he was posted to C.P.T.D (also shortened to P.T.D.) at Shorncliffe. Could this be Canadian Pioneer Training Depot? He was next posted to 4 Pioneer Battalion in France.

He was seriously ill with pneumonia in the spring of 1917. After convalescence, he was posted to 3 C.C.D. which is obliging expanded as 3rd Canadian Command Depot at Seaford.

The entries are a little confusing as he seems to have gone backwards and forwards a bit between 3 C.C.D and B.C.Regt.D (also given as B.C.R.D.) and 16 Reserve (Battalion?) also at Seaford.

(It seems very unlikely to me; but could B.C.Regt.D be British Columbia Regiment Depot? (He enlisted in B.C.)

He returned to France in October 1917 to serve with 47 CEF and subsequently died of wounds on 3/9/1918..

(Apologies if the answers are glaringly obvious; I never could do word puzzles.)

R.

I am not certain about the first one, but you seem fine in regards to the second one, At first I thought maybe number 3 Canadian Convalescence Depot, but you state it was written out in long form as well.

You are correct that B.C.R.D. and B.C.Regt. D. are both British Columbia Regimental Depot.

I am not certain about the first one, but you seem fine in regards to the second one, At first I thought maybe number 3 Canadian Convalescence Depot, but you state it was written out in long form as well.

Most obligingly there is a 3rd Canadian Command Depot rubber stamp image.

R.

• 2 months later...

Many thanks, Ken I had missed that thread!

• 3 years later...