Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HQ Tanks 1917 - 18, Evan Charteris

Gareth Davies

Noting that Evan Charteris's book HQ Tanks gets a mention in the Rarest book thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61344&page=3&hl=%2Bcharteris+%2Btanks#entry863659 I think I already know the answer to my question. But one never knows so here goes.

Does anyone have a copy of HQ Tanks 1917 - 1918 by Sir Evan Edward Charteris? If so could they please give me an indication as to its contents.

Thanks Gwyn. It must be accessible as J P Harris quotes from it/cites it in his chapter The RIse of Armour in the book British Fighting Methods in the Great War. I will get in touch with them.

I emailed them and got an automated reply telling me that my enquiry will be forwarded to the appropriate member of the libraries team who will reply asap. I will indeed let you know how I get on.

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked Copac and it seems this is the only copy anywhere... Also the book is actually anonymous, but is attributed to Charteris.

It helpfully says that for enquiries or access, email libraries@nationaltrust.org.uk

Gwyn

There appears to be another copy, in Cambridge University.

http://copac.ac.uk/search?&author=Charteris&title=tanks

I think I will pop up to Derbyshire.

• 1 month later...

Hi, there is a copy in the Tank Museum, if Dorset is any closer to you than Derbyshire. I saw it there, and it's quite slim, rather gossipy and very well-written (as one might expect from an intellectual and asthete). Most of the names are disguised so you have to work out who's who.

It would be great if archive.org or someone would digitise this, as they seem to do some pretty obscure memoirs and this one is very useful for anyone interested in the early days of the Tank Corps.

John

John

Yes, I managed to have a quick look at their copy before I left Bovington. I was keeping quiet as I had been hoping to be able to make a copy of it and to try and flog it to Gwyn :)

Keep saving, you will like it. It will come with Arras and Ypres 1917 thrown in for good measure.

Looking forward to reading your new book Gareth

I also need to read the Charteris book too as I want to learn more about a couple of men who served with C and D Companies who later served at the Tank HQ

S

Aren't you writing one of the volumes Stephen?

Geoffrey has suggested I write the volume covering 1915-1916; we will be discussing next Friday in London. Hope to see you there.

It seems everyone's writing a book about tanks except me!

Oh hang on, I'm writing one about Deborah. I think the market is going to be pretty well flooded.

John

• 4 years later...

HQ Tanks.

If anyone is still looking for this rare book, Tom Donovan has just listed a copy on his website. Much as I’d like a copy this is way out of my price range!!

Edited by Dust Jacket Collector
Missed out the book title.