Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29th Kings Liverpool Regiment

tom bowler

I can't find any information on the above unit.

My Grandfather seems to have been transferred to this unit at the end of WW1 when his own unit the 9th Loyal North Lancashire Regiment was disbanded.

My Grandfather had been a POW at Soltau.

Can anyone give any info on the '29th Kings Liverpool' ?

The 2/9th Bn. King's Liverpool Regiment didn't exist at the end of the war. It had re-absorbed the 1/9th Bn. and become simply the 9th Bn. in January, 1918.

It's an official document from Preston regarding medals earned and dated 1920. There is a Colonels signature at the bottom of the document

I don't think forum rules allow me to paste such stuff. If they do, I will post the document.

100805 Pte John Barker;Kings Liverpool. Previously 19660 Loyal North Lancashire Regiment.

The document is the medal roll for the Kings Liverpool. Medal section Infantry records office, Fulwood Barracks, Preston.

It clearly says and type written 29th Kings Liverpool hence my original post.

Patrick Mileham's list of WW1 KLR battalions in the tercentenary history of the King's Regiment (the amalgamation of the KLR and the Manchester Regiment), Difficulties Be Damned, does not list a 29th Battalion. His list runs to the 28th (Home Service) Battalion KLR, formed in June 1918 and disbanded in July with the majority of soldiers going to the 17th Bn KLR. There is a 27th (Home Service) Bn KLR formed in April 1918, serving in the UK until the end of the war.

Brig. James's 'British Regiments 1914-1918' has nothing for 29th Bn. KLR and under 9th (S) Bn Loyals simply states '12.8.18 disbanded in France'.

Daggers

Morning

Kings Regimental History by Wyrall states

29th Battalion formed after 11.11.18 France (served in France til 1919)

Regards,

Graeme

Very interesting info/source Graeme.

This unit may have been in residence in France in case the ceasefire failed ? As there was no certainty that that would have happened.

I cannot imagine that my Grandfather, who must have just been released from Soltau, had been shot in right eye (ICRC report), and was married with young children .Who was also a coal miner/hewer by trade. Would have been expected to serve a little longer in France Post WW1 ?

John Gillick 100806 2nd Kings Liverpool and John Willie Coops 100808 K/L are on the same medals list I quoted, and date stamped 5th.November 1920.

Thanks to everyone who has replied and for your interest.

post-63-0-55965900-1418831646_thumb.jpgHaving just had a look at my copy of Wyrall I cannot find mention of the 29th Battalion but it may just be me.

I would be grateful for the page number please.

Thanks in advance.

P.B.

Well, I am now aware of this Appendix. I had thought to look in Wyrall but would never have looked in Volume 1.

Thanks!

Ian

• 1 year later...

13054991_1592566184394596_14484883834941

Here is the Medal Roll for my Grandfather, where his final unit for WW1 was listed as the 29th.Kings Liverpool Regiment. There seems to be a dearth of information about this Battalion.

• 11 months later...

searching for information on the 29th KLR and found this thread, it's old I know!

My grandfather is listed on both a birth and death cert, both sadly a month apart, a Drummer 29th K.L.R. 107348 (if I am reading the writing correctly)

date on the certs of 1920..

• 1 year later...

I can see this thread sometime ago but I wondered if any more information on the 29th Battalion had been found. My Grandfather Sgt John Dawson served with this regiment until his death in France from drowning.

John Dawson.jpg

Have you looked for service papers for the other two men on the same page? They were clearly transferred to the 29th KLR at the same time so could give you information relevant to your relative, too.

[EDIT] Evans has a surviving service record but there is nomention of the King's Liverpool Regiment. All of his post-war documents mention only 5th South Wales Borderers, so perhaps the 29th KLR was an administrative unit and he didn't actually serve with them other than on paper.

Edited by Ken Lees

Here is the record for my Grandfathers service;  Pte. John Barker . Date stamped the very same date as John D's document .

Grandads service.jpg

On 16/10/2018 at 14:00, Ken Lees said:

[EDIT]  so perhaps the 29th KLR was an administrative unit and he didn't actually serve with them other than on paper.

That was my thinking too. As I mentioned earlier, my Grandfather was a POW at Soltau till cessation of hostilities. His own Battalion, the 9th Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, had been disbanded when he was incarcerated.

He lived in Wigan.

Edited by tom bowler