Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6" barrel Webley Mks

lewwallace

This is an example of an earlier Mk than the V discussed in a previous post, concerning the 6" barrel length. As is evident this gun, introduced in late 1890's, pre dates the V by at least 15 yrs.

Saw another in a MkII 20 yrs or more ago but at the time thot it was a mismatch! I know better now. I do know that some of the earlier were refitted with nitro proofed cylinders so that can explain nos. that don' t agree. But not in the case concerning barrels.

This is a III that is uncut and cylinder is numbered to the rest of the firearm. Serial no. 770xx. Locks up tight an very little play, will shoot when weather allows!(vintage Dominion 455)

post-119060-0-77608300-1418682196_thumb.

This is an example of an earlier Mk than the V discussed in a previous post, concerning the 6" barrel length. As is evident this gun, introduced in late 1890's, pre dates the V by at least 15 yrs.

Saw another in a MkII 20 yrs or more ago but at the time thot it was a mismatch! I know better now. I do know that some of the earlier were refitted with nitro proofed cylinders so that can explain nos. that don' t agree. But not in the case concerning barrels.

This is a III that is uncut and cylinder is numbered to the rest of the firearm. Serial no. 770xx. Locks up tight an very little play, will shoot when weather allows!(vintage Dominion 455)

That looks to be a later version of Webley Mark III, which was approved for both Land and Naval use on 27th November, 1897. The 6 inch barrel is usually attributed to civilian use, and the 4 inch barrel to service use. The serial number 770xx puts that revolver towards the end of the Mark III production, as the highest recorded serial number for the Mark III is 80012.

It also has the thinner Hammer Spur, and also the later type of Cam Levers seen on the Webley Mark IV, V and VI.

Another very nice Webley.

Regards,

LF